View Full Version : Engadget: Latest Samsung i730 Rumors

Janak Parekh
05-06-2005, 04:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000803042392/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000803042392/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We still can’t give you a precise launch date for the i730, Samsung’s new EV-DO capable Pocket PC Phone, but we have been able to squeeze out a few more details courtesy of an anonymous source. As of right now, Verizon is on target to launch the phone sometime within the next three to six weeks, offering the phone to its business customers for around $390 to $450, with the general public getting it for somewhere between $600 and $700 before carrier subsidy (which sounds about right for a high-end Pocket PC Phone)."</i><br /><br />This is all unconfirmed, but it's good to hear that the i730 is still floating down the grapevine. I'll be curious to see how much the actual prices with contract fare if and when Verizon releases it, and if either Bluetooth or WLAN is crippled on the device.

DaleReeck
05-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I notice how everyone talks of "crippled" bluetooth, particualry with Verizon. I assume this come from the V710 situation. I have one and while it sucks that file transfer is disabled, it (the bluetooth) certainly is not "crippled". Disabling one bluetooth profile in a device doesn't make it crippled IMO. I think the word is used more for shock value since people are p$$ed off that Verizon disabled file transfer in order to force you to use GIN - i.e., money grubbing.

ADBrown
05-06-2005, 05:34 PM
I would call deliberately disabling a standard feature in order to make more money 'crippling' a product.

whydidnt
05-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I was originally very excited about this device. Maybe enough to get me to switch to Verizon. Then I start hearing rumors about BT functions being disabled, and think about having to pay $50.00/month or thereabouts for data access (and again, with DUN disabled in BT, can't even use is as BT modem) and then I think about how much easier Windows Terminal Services is to use on my VGA HX4700, and I smile. I just saved a pile of money by not feeling the need to jump all over this phone. Thank you Verizon for making my decision much easier. :D

ADBrown
05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Just to clarify, we don't know that the i730 will have BT crippled, just that there are rumors both ways. They didn't cripple BT on the HTC Harrier that they carry. They may only care about milking the consumer market's picture transfers, rather than unreasoningly screwing the business and prosumer markets.

Janak Parekh
05-06-2005, 07:35 PM
I notice how everyone talks of "crippled" bluetooth, particualry with Verizon. I assume this come from the V710 situation.
The V710 situation showed that Verizon is capable of disabling profiles, yes. However, the rumor I heard on the i730 was that they were thinking of removing the DUN (Dial-Up Networking) profile. 8O If they do that, I will insist that's a crippled Bluetooth implementation, as I consider DUN to be one of the critical features of a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone.

--janak

DaleReeck
05-07-2005, 02:26 AM
I notice how everyone talks of "crippled" bluetooth, particualry with Verizon. I assume this come from the V710 situation.
The V710 situation showed that Verizon is capable of disabling profiles, yes. However, the rumor I heard on the i730 was that they were thinking of removing the DUN (Dial-Up Networking) profile. 8O If they do that, I will insist that's a crippled Bluetooth implementation, as I consider DUN to be one of the critical features of a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone.

--janak

Since I'm sure Verizon will think of the 730 as more of a business product than a consumer one, I imagine they think they can get away with disabling file transfer. But I'd be surprised if they disabled DUN as that is a legitimate business feature. That could pi$$ off some corporate customers, something that Verizon would be loathe to do. Unless of course they are worried about their brand spankin' new EVDO network being sucked dry by corporate notebook users. In that case, you would have to wonder if their V710 replacement EVDO phone, the E815, will also have DUN disabled.

Kursplat
05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Oh, some possible activity! I keep checking the VerizonWireless site for the Treo 650 being released (some rumors say that will come out first, with the i730 to follow). Frustratingly enough, the "Treo 650 coming soon" link is STILL on the left side of the screen. :(

BUT, and this is a MUCH better indicator :D, the i700 shows it was reduced in price $200 and has an "Out of Stock" notice above the picture. Hopefully, this means they are emptying out their i700 stock and are FINALLY ready to release the i730.

After all this waiting, I just hope it doesn't feel too top-heavy when using the keyboard. I would hate to have gone all this time without a PDA only to have waited for something I ended up not getting. :(

choard
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
If I buy a phone I want all the features to work, unless it is discounted by 50% or so. That's because I am neither an idiot, nor 14. I remember when all wired phones were the same - black - until the feds stepped in and opened up the market. We went thru the cheap phones, and then we got some decent, creatively designed phones, created by someone other than the 3 blind, deaf guys at Western Electric. And It was Good.

It's may be time for the feds to step in again and say to the wireless companies, "print specs and if they meet the specs, put the phone on the system" Then you can get BT, iTunes phones, and stuff we haven't even thought up yet. And It will Be Good.

Next time you buy a car tell them to weld one of the doors and the trunk shut, and still charge you full sticker price. It still drives, you can get in and out, somehow, but tell me you won't feel cheated, and we'll know you to be a liar. That what happens when they cripple features on the phone. A $500 phone/PDA is not something 25 minute a month people would buy. A heavy user generates a decent bill, and should get the features they pay for, imho.