View Full Version : Why won't Outlook sync?

chees
05-06-2005, 01:02 AM
I recently tried to connect my cassiopeia pocket pc through infrared, running PPC2000 to my Dell PC with SP2 and MS activesync 3.8. I have never gotten this to work. When ever its about to sync my email inbox I get this message:

Synchronization cannot start because this desktop computer cannot access necessary information. Restart this desktop computer and synchromize again. If the problem persists and this desktop computer is running Microsoft Outlook 2000, open Outlook 2000, click help, and then click detect and repair. Otherwise, contact your network administrator.

I currently have MS outlook 6. Can anyone help me? This is really frustrating!

uzetaab
05-08-2005, 02:53 AM
MS Outlook 6? As in the free version that comes with Explorer?
I didn't think that the free one could be synced. My PPC came with a copy of Outlook 2002.
If you don't have the outlook that came with the Cassiopia or a copy of office, I suggest that you do one of 3 things:

buy office 2000 or later (off ebay or something)

look for an outlook replacement that supports ppc sync (I wonder if open office has something?)

use a different syncing method like Mobsync (http://www.interq.or.jp/punk/doino/home/) or sprint backup.

yankeejeep
05-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Uzetaab is absolutely correct. If you watch the splash screen when you launch the program, I'll bet you see the name Outlook Express rather than Outlook, and you cannot sync with Outlook Express. You need full-scale Outlook which comes on all software CDs distributed with PPC devices, as a part of Office, or can be purchased as a stand-alone install. The advice to look on EBay is a good lead.

If you don't want to install full Outlook, then you will need to look for an ActiveSync enhancement that supports Outlook Express.

Ck87.JF
05-09-2005, 07:07 AM
For my calendar and contacts, in the Microsoft ActiveSync window, the status reports "Sync status is on device." This has gone on ever since I had to hard reset my iPAQ rx3115 handheld, because a friend was trying to guess the login password, and somehow locked it up. I hard-reset it, after trying soft resets, and then went about setting up my account again. Actually, it started when I reformatted my computer (as I do every once in a while, to keep it fresh), and I had installed the iPAQ software before I installed Office. Or something like that... anyway, since the reformat, I've not been able to sync my calendar or contacts. It's been a pain in the butt, but I've not taken time until now to ask about it. Should I just reinstall the software, or what?