View Full Version : maybe a dumb question about GPS overseas?

zilla31
05-04-2005, 05:45 PM
i've got the belkin BT gps (w/ inav software iguidance) and i love it. i'm heading ot france for 2 weeks and was wondering if i could use my gps over there?? i know iguidance doesn't have maps to cover it (only US), but maybe i can get a map pack from mapopolis or something i have no idea? so A) will the hardware work, and B) can i get some maps for a reasonable price?

THANKS!

surur
05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Your GPS unit will definitely work. I would be more concerned about the availability of maps however.

Surur

Swede12
05-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes, your GPS will work, in fact it will work anywhere in the world. Its the maps that will be your problem. You should try to get the map situation sorted before you head for foreign shores.

zilla31
05-05-2005, 08:03 PM
yeah i wonder where i can get cheap/free maps for use in france while i'm there...

Sven Johannsen
05-05-2005, 09:22 PM
If it is just some specific ones, I think the Mapopolis' model is that you can download sample maps and they time out after a couple of weeks :wink: Used to be that way.

Maps are typically expensive no matter which way you go. I went ahead and sprung for a European subscription with Mapopolis when I went to Germany last year. I found it worth it since I was already familiar with the Mapopolis interface.

TomTom is of course going to be recommended as they actually are based on that side of the world.