View Full Version : What's wrong with my storage card?????????

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Recently, I just restored all my files from the recent SD card crash. Though, I couldn't create anymore files and folders after I used about 256 MB of my 512 MB SD card. What's wrong with my SD card?

PocketPC Addict
05-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Do you own or have access to a card reader where you can run Desktop PC scanning tools on it? I'd recommend scanning it and seeing what comes up.

Also, check to see if you get wrong memory reported on your desktop too.

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Yes, I 've a SD card reader. The disk space shows on the desktop is the same. Though, I couldn't create any files or folders either on my computer.

I already scan the card with the utilities on the computer (ex. CHKDSK). It detected some errors and fixed it. Though, nothing seems to change. I still couldn't create any files.
:cry: :cry:
Thanks.

PocketPC Addict
05-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Hey, I just had a thought...one time I loaded up the root of a storage card with music mp3s. I had something like 125 of them there. I couldn't write anything more to the root after that.

Do you have a large number of files in the root of the card (i.e. Files that aren't in folders)? If so, you can move them into a folder to get access again.

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Hey, I just had a thought...one time I loaded up the root of a storage card with music mp3s. I had something like 125 of them there. I couldn't write anything more to the root after that.
Sorry about my ignorance, but what is "root"?

Do you have a large number of files in the root of the card (i.e. Files that aren't in folders)? If so, you can move them into a folder to get access again.
I've about 254 folders and 2527 files. Though, I don't think they're scattered.

PocketPC Addict
05-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Sorry about my ignorance, but what is "root"?

Root is just the base of a drive. Like if you open your C: drive the root would be immediatly everything you see, files, folders, etc. Once you get inside a folder you are out of the root.

I've about 254 folders and 2527 files. Though, I don't think they're scattered.

hmm...the magic number seems to be 255 (historically speaking, all the way back to DOS, 255 has been pretty much the end number) plus or minus 1 for stuff like this. I would have to look it up but you may be limited to 254 items (files or folders) in your storage card base. After that, things would shut down and you'd end up with crazy errors and copy denials.

What I would try is to move folders inside of each other until you had a dozen less in the root/base of the card.

Hope this helps,
Brad

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 03:38 AM
I'll try that. Thanks!! You are a really big help to me.
:D
I didn't really mention the detail, but, like you said, I can create another folder if I deleted one. (even though it is empty) I'm quite surprised that you got all the details about what happened exactly.

Thanks again,

Patrick

PocketPC Addict
05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Happy to help :)