View Full Version : keeping a spare battery?

strangetanks
05-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I switched from a tungsten t/3 to an asus a730. When I purchased my pocket pc I thought I would be able to keep a spare charged battery with me and switch them out when one gets low. I tried removing the battery from my asus one day and it was like doing a system reset to the device. Is there any way to have a spare battery? Otherwise why did Asus make the back remove so easily if the only reason you needed to access the battery is in the event your old one bites the dust?

Strange Tanks

ADBrown
05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
You are supposed to be able to keep a spare battery. It sounds like something may be wrong with the backup battery that maintains the RAM. I would return the A730 for a replacement, or possibly a better model.

strangetanks
05-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Is there some software that will restore everything you had on you ppc in the event you do a hard reset? Last time I had to manually re-install all the software I had on there. There used to be a peice of software for palm called backup buddy that performed a similar function.

Strange Tanks

Menneisyys
05-03-2005, 08:54 PM
I tried removing the battery from my asus one day and it was like doing a system reset to the device.

How much time did it take to swap the batteries? A lot of current PDA's have small capacitors instead of batteries as "backup batteries" and they only hold charge to power the RAM for 20-120 secs in cases (20-30 secs is the case of iPAQ 2210).

ADBrown
05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
There are a variety of backup programs for PocketPCs. Most PPCs come with one built in, but I don't think the Asus is one of them. Sprite Backup is generally agreed to be one of the best.

1BADRIDE
05-03-2005, 11:55 PM
You can also use Activesync to backup.

Double click the Activesync system tray icon, and in the activesync window, click Tools, and then Backup/Restore. It's pretty intuitive from there.

strangetanks
05-04-2005, 12:05 AM
thanks everyone...now all i have to do is buy that extra battery and figure out a way to charge the freakin thing...ha ha

strangetanks

ADBrown
05-04-2005, 04:10 AM
Charging it is tricky. The A730 doesn't have a charging slot for a second battery on the cradle, so you have to swap the battery into the A730 in order to charge it. It's a little stupid, and makes using a spare battery more difficult, but that's the way they built the thing.

BoxWave
05-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Have you considered using a Battery Adapter for emergency charges?

It uses 4 standard AA batteries and provides up to 5 full recharging cycles for your device. It works together with miniSync, DirectSync, of your stock USB cable. It's extremely light-weight and portable.

Here's the link where you can read more about it: Battery Adapter (http://www.boxwave.com/products/batteryadapter/index.htm)

Cheers, :)
Cho