View Full Version : 'Simple Games', Mobile Charts and 'Dedicated Gamers'

Jonathon Watkins
05-01-2005, 08:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4461239.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4461239.stm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"[A]ccording to Mobile Games Analyst. . . Tetris was the top game for eight months. Other big-hitters were Namco's Pac-Man and Iomo's Pub Pool. The Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association compiled mobile game data for the first time from 2004. . . . "It's no surprise that accessible, easy-to-play games have considerable appeal for UK mobile users," said Stuart Dredge from Mobile Games Analyst. . . Mobile gaming is expected to explode, with analysts predicting that 220 million will be playing games on mobile phones by 2009. Analysts say that mobile games appeal more to the "casual gamer", who is looking to play for short periods of time, than to dedicated gamers."</i><br /><br />So, are you a casual or a dedicated mobile gamer? Apparently many large games makers see mobile gaming as a way of attract more people into their more 'serious' gaming titles on consoles. Am I the only one that plays games for their own sake on the PPC? I'm not likely to 'upgrade' to a console version of a game just because I enjoyed it on my WM device. Still, looking at the games I currently have installed shows that many of them could be termed 'simple'. I tend to play games 'on the run' and don't have much time to spend getting into them. However, you can pack a lot of depth into 'simple' games, which are often the ones that have stood the test of time. What are your thoughts about the relative complexity of games you play on different systems, what defines a 'dedicated' gamer and is anyone up for a game of <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=341321">Resco Seal Ball?</a> ;-)

AximMeister
05-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Load of cobblers innit. They only take figures from Orange and Co who have a tiny selection of product available. Then there is Handango with their best sellers NOT being based primarily on numbers sold so ... please can somebody, somehow, somewhere, create a genuine Best Sellers list ? Not that difficult is it ?

hoodmeister
05-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I play a few games on the go... But I tend to play those more in depth.

PDAmills creations have to be my favourites, but I also play a lot of emulated games...

pr0vider
05-01-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't have much time for games. I generally veg out in front of the TV with a good movie when I'm able, or round up some friends. I DO have one game for my PPC though; Billiard Master. Billiards/Pool is one of my hobbies and Billiard Master emulates it well. :)

JD Silver
05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Bejeweled 2 is my current favorite. I prefer games I can pick up and play for a few minutes during idle time. This use of games has even spread to the PC. There was a time I could play SimCity for days on end, but no more.

disconnected
05-02-2005, 04:03 AM
I have a pretty short attention span, so I play mindless games that can be played quickly, and also don't require much mental effort. My current addiction is Bejeweled2. Before that it was Cropped Out; I wish they'd update it for VGA. Unfortunately, even though an individual game doesn't take long, I spend way too much time playing. I don't seem to be able to watch TV anymore without either reading a book or playing a game at the same time. If I didn't use a screen protector my screen would be pulverized by now.

socrates63
05-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I prefer games I can pick up and play for a few minutes during idle time.
Same here.