View Full Version : PPC software will run in a tungsten??

oilisab
04-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Do you guys know if skyscape med products which work with PPC
will work in a palm tungsten E??

ADBrown
04-27-2005, 06:36 AM
No. Software for PocketPCs won't run on Palms. You need Palm programs.

Darius Wey
04-27-2005, 07:28 AM
No. Software for PocketPCs won't run on Palms. You need Palm programs.

To add to that though, in some cases, there are Palm equivalents released by the company. Going back to the original question about Skyscape, as far as I'm aware, the purchase of a particular title gives you access to both the Pocket PC and Palm versions of the product. If in doubt, contact Skyscape (http://www.skyscape.com/help/).

oilisab
04-27-2005, 03:34 PM
thanks!!

BUMP THAT
04-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Also depends on the format as well. Such as MobiPocket and iSilo use PRC and PDB files, which are native palm files. So in effect, they can be used on both. :)

Darius Wey
04-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Also depends on the format as well. Such as MobiPocket and iSilo use PRC and PDB files, which are native palm files. So in effect, they can be used on both. :)

But program files and standard document files should be differentiated from each other. Some eBooks are compatible across both platforms. Standard program files are not. Just thought I'd throw that one in there for clarification.

AximMeister
04-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Any pocket pc program would run ssslllooowwwwllllyyy wouldn't it ?

stevelam
04-30-2005, 01:32 PM

On what???

If it is on a PPC with enough free program memory then, no it shouldnt.

yankeejeep
04-30-2005, 06:23 PM
If it is on a PPC with enough free program memory then, no it shouldnt.
I think the comment was about trying to run PPC apps on a Palm device. If such an animal existed as a WM emulator for Palm (and I have not heard of such a beast), it would certainly operate at a crawl. On the other hand, there does seem to be a fairly good Palm emulator now available for the WM platform.

Darius Wey
04-30-2005, 06:35 PM

Simply put, Pocket PC applications will not work on the Palm, so it's not that it'll run slowly, but it won't run at all! And quite frankly, the thought of such cross-pollenation is just a fantasy. I don't think these two worlds will collide any time soon, if at all. Sure, StyleTap does exist, but that's not the sort of cross-compatibility I was referring to.

Some eBooks (e.g. iSilo) can work on both devices though, but that's another story.