View Full Version : Planmaker installation problems

Sunnyone
04-26-2005, 10:40 PM
I am trying to install Planmaker for Pocket PC to my iPAQ hx 4700. I am getting an error message saying that I'm trying to install a Pocket PC version of Planmaker onto a handheld PC. I'm pretty sure my device isn't a handheld PC. :duh: I have posted an inquiry to the Softmaker forums (on 4/21) but haven't had a response, yet. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. Any ideas?

yankeejeep
04-26-2005, 11:38 PM
No, your iPAQ is very definitely a PocketPC. Perhaps you should download the install file again (in case it became corrupted in the first download) and try running the installation a second time. How are you making the ActiveSync connection when you run the install?

ctmagnus
04-26-2005, 11:58 PM
You might want to try redownloading. SoftMaker has versions of their products for Pocket PCs and for handhelds. I assume you downloaded the handheld version. My PlanMaker installer is named pmpw04.exe. If yours is named pmhw04.exe (or anything other than pmpw04.exe) thern you downloaded the wrong version.

JMac
04-27-2005, 06:49 AM
I had absolutely no problem when I initially installed both PlanMaker 2004 and TextMaker 2002 on my Asus 716. However when I purchased my Axim X50v and decided that I would use both on that device instead I could not install either. And I know I had the correct downloads.

Their support directed me to "unzip the .exe", which sounds wild, but it actually can be done. Then I placed all the individual pieces on the X50v as directed by SoftMaker. It works - sort of...

But the default save folders don't work no matter how many times I reset it. And some of the files are in German or French instead of English. 8O Driving me crazy! I wrote a software review on my Axim and then transferred it to my PC. TextMaker has some quirks that cause me not to use it on my PC any longer, so I opened the file in MS Word and all of the words in the article showed as misspelled. When I tried to correct them, the spell checker insisted on using French! So... I re-typed the entire article in MS Word on my PC, and all was well again. But anything I create in TextMaker or PlanMaker on my PPC causes my MS Word on the PC to use it's French spell checker.

I have a support request in with them now, but they're not responding too quickly lately. :cry:

SoftMaker
04-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I am trying to install Planmaker for Pocket PC to my iPAQ hx 4700. I am getting an error message saying that I'm trying to install a Pocket PC version of Planmaker onto a handheld PC. I'm pretty sure my device isn't a handheld PC. :duh: I have posted an inquiry to the Softmaker forums (on 4/21) but haven't had a response, yet. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. Any ideas?
When installing, don't run your hi-res Pocket PC in landscape mode as that confuses the setup program. Turn the display to portrait mode, then install. After that, PlanMaker happily works in either mode.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

SoftMaker
04-27-2005, 01:50 PM
I had absolutely no problem when I initially installed both PlanMaker 2004 and TextMaker 2002 on my Asus 716. However when I purchased my Axim X50v and decided that I would use both on that device instead I could not install either. And I know I had the correct downloads.

Their support directed me to "unzip the .exe", which sounds wild, but it actually can be done. Then I placed all the individual pieces on the X50v as directed by SoftMaker. It works - sort of...

But the default save folders don't work no matter how many times I reset it. And some of the files are in German or French instead of English. 8O Driving me crazy! I wrote a software review on my Axim and then transferred it to my PC. TextMaker has some quirks that cause me not to use it on my PC any longer, so I opened the file in MS Word and all of the words in the article showed as misspelled. When I tried to correct them, the spell checker insisted on using French! So... I re-typed the entire article in MS Word on my PC, and all was well again. But anything I create in TextMaker or PlanMaker on my PPC causes my MS Word on the PC to use it's French spell checker.

I have a support request in with them now, but they're not responding too quickly lately. :cry:

Default save folders? There ain't no such thing in our apps. They remember the folder you last saved to and suggest this folder again.

Regarding spell-checking, have you checked if your document is formatted in the correct language in TextMaker? To do so, open it in TextMaker, do an Edit>Select all and then call up Format>Character>Language. Here, you should have the language set that your document is actually written in. This language is also exported to Microsoft Word, and Word should pick it up.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

yankeejeep
04-27-2005, 04:05 PM
When installing, don't run your hi-res Pocket PC in landscape mode as that confuses the setup program. Turn the display to portrait mode, then install. After that, PlanMaker happily works in either mode.
I had not even thought of this. I always rotate my display to portrait when it's cradled just out of habit, so of course any install I run through ActiveSync will happen when my device is in portrait mode. A good piece of install info to have for future reference. Thanks.

JMac
04-27-2005, 04:13 PM

Default save folders? There ain't no such thing in our apps. They remember the folder you last saved to and suggest this folder again.

Regarding spell-checking, have you checked if your document is formatted in the correct language in TextMaker? To do so, open it in TextMaker, do an Edit>Select all and then call up Format>Character>Language. Here, you should have the language set that your document is actually written in. This language is also exported to Microsoft Word, and Word should pick it up.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Wow! Quick qnswer here, though I haven't received a reply to my suport email yet.

Martin, no SoftMaker folder is creatd in My Documents in Main Memory when installed in piecemeal fashion on an SD card, so I created one and I save all my SM files there so that they will synch to the PC. Yet every time I try to save a new document it wants to default to the SD card. This happens even if I initially save to the My Documents\SoftMaker folder in Main Memory. Saving changes for the same file try go to the the SD card. So that is what I mean by "default save folder". When I used the installer the first time, on my Asus, all installed and worked well.

As for the language problems, I followed your instructions in this post (http://www.softmaker.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2976#2976) as well as some direction from Tobias, yet I still get the language issues.

Any chance that there is a working installer now for the X50v?

SoftMaker
04-27-2005, 07:47 PM
I had not even thought of this. I always rotate my display to portrait when it's cradled just out of habit, so of course any install I run through ActiveSync will happen when my device is in portrait mode. A good piece of install info to have for future reference. Thanks.
The problem is this: The setup program asks the attached Pocket PC what screen size it has. If it comes back as 640*480 pixels, the setup program thinks it's a Handheld PC and refuses to install. This is a safety step because many users download the wrong software for their device.

For whatever reason, your Pocket PC claims that it has 640*480 pixels (not: 480*640 pixels). This happens if the Pocket PC is in landscape mode, but you ruled that out. The other reason I could think of is that you are running some VGA hack program or maybe Nyditot Virtual Display, and that's why your Pocket PC is giving out such information.

Does this ring a bell with you?

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

SoftMaker
04-27-2005, 08:05 PM

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Wow! Quick qnswer here, though I haven't received a reply to my suport email yet.

Martin, no SoftMaker folder is creatd in My Documents in Main Memory when installed in piecemeal fashion on an SD card, so I created one and I save all my SM files there so that they will synch to the PC. Yet every time I try to save a new document it wants to default to the SD card. This happens even if I initially save to the My Documents\SoftMaker folder in Main Memory. Saving changes for the same file try go to the the SD card. So that is what I mean by "default save folder". When I used the installer the first time, on my Asus, all installed and worked well.

As for the language problems, I followed your instructions in this post (http://www.softmaker.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2976#2976) as well as some direction from Tobias, yet I still get the language issues.

Any chance that there is a working installer now for the X50v?

The instructions you got result in exactly the same install as with the regular install, with the exception of you having to create \My Documents\SoftMaker manually.

So, the good AND the bad news is that TextMaker would behave just the same if the install through the regular setup program would have worked.

What problems did you have with our installer on the Axim? We have many Axim users and I don't see a significant number of installs failing.

The behavior you are describing of TextMaker always defaulting to the SD card is not its normal behavior. What happens if you remove the SD card? Where do the file saves go then?

Also, did I understand you correctly that even if you do a File>Save as to an in-memory folder, the next File>Save or Save as again defaults to the SD card? This would make even less sense. Not that I don't believe you (of course I do), but there is nothing in TextMaker's program code to cause such a behavior.

What happens if you use another main memory folder instead of \My Documents\SoftMaker? Does TextMaker behave differently then? Maybe the Pocket PC is fooling TextMaker into assuming the \My Documents folder on the SD card.

As for the language problem, the date formatting including month names is not taken from the user interface language, but the character formatting of the passage where the date is inserted. Every single character may be formatted in a different language, if you like to do that.

To check this:

1. Start TextMaker, select Format>Character>Language>French, type a few characters, insert a date field -> comes up in French.

2. Select Format>Character>Language>Spanish, type a few characters, insert a date field -> comes up in Spanish

etc.

At least that's how it's supposed to work. Can you verify this?

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JMac
04-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Martin,

I removed both PlanMaker and TextMaker from the X50v, and then found and deleted all associated registry keys. Then I re-downloaded the latest releases using the download links in the emails I received. This time both installed flawlessly, and all seems to be working well.

As I said a few posts up, I originally installed both on my Asus 716 without any problems. However when my Asus failed six months after purchase (since replaced by Asus), I purchased a new Axim X50v, re-downloaded the TM & PM .exe files, and ran the installer. Neither would complete successfully. After downloading yet again and not being able to install them, I ended up being pointed to your "manual install" instructions in your forum, by Tobias. So I installed them using those instructions. I've had some problems ever since.

However now that the installer worked, I hope I'm OK!

Of course since Dell just issued a new ROM version for the X50v, I'll be hard-resetting the device to install that, and reinstalling all over again!

Thanks for your help, Martin!