View Full Version : What happened to my storage card????????

Patrick Y.
04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
When I scan the card for error with Pocket Mechanic, the device freezes up after it is done. Then, I have to soft reset the device. However, I discovered that more than 9/10 of my data are gone :!: Even though the disk space occupied is the same in Settings, I couldn't find almost any of my data with File Explorer or Total Commader. The programs shortcut for those disappeared files also stopped working. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

HELP!

Menneisyys
04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
When I scan the card for error with Pocket Mechanic, the device freezes up after it is done. Then, I have to soft reset the device. However, I discovered that more than 9/10 of my data are gone :!: Even though the disk space occupied is the same in Settings, I couldn't find almost any of my data with File Explorer or Total Commader. The programs shortcut for those disappeared files also stopped working. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

HELP!

A rule of thumb:

NEVER use Pocket Mechanic (or, for that matter, Storage Tools) for scanning for errors, it will probably mess up your card!

(Sorry for using bold - I would just cry when I think of the files I lost because of the two above-mentioned apps...)

Unfortunately, I too have very bad experiences with these two apps. This is why I'm trying to tell everyone not to use them for scanning cards. (for example, in my MP3/Speex recorder article, see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/newsl_jkwg/JKWG_02-22-05.htm ( http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,37799
and http://www.pocketcasting.com/archives/2005/02/21/recording-on-the-pocket-pc/ ) for more info).

Always use chkdsk on the desktop Windows instead; it will fix almost everything. And if it doesn't, use GetDataBack for FAT32. Using chkdsk is pretty straightforward:

1, insert your memory card in the memory reader (without it, it won't work)

2, issue the chkdsk drivename: /f command.

yankeejeep
04-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I second that and am glad you used bold (maybe caps would not have been out of the question, since this needs to be yelled). I have yet to find a set of card utilities for the PPC platform that work nearly as well or as reliably as the tools available on any Windows desktop. Save yourself a ton of grief and make the very minor investment in a card reader so memory card maintenance chores can be done with your desktop machine.

Menneisyys
04-25-2005, 08:54 PM
BTW, I've just, some 2 days ago mentioned this problem in a nearby thread: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39485

Patrick Y.
04-25-2005, 11:45 PM
I really appreciate your suggestion. I think you should share your opinion with everybody to prevent more people from becoming a poor victim like me :cry: (It will be great if you make all your announcements in BOLD and CAP

As for the disappeared files, can the desktop utilities retrieve them FOR SURE?? I just can't bare the fact that I might loose 480 MB of data. :cry:

Also, my dad won't be very happy to find out about the big crisis. I got tons of important data on the SD card. I have never thought of back up the data to my computer. :( I'll never be able to replace them all.

Lastly, can tell me more about "chkdsk"? I'm one of the stupid people who don't know anything. Does Windoes XP has that program build-in??

THANK YOU :!:

P.S

Is any other possible solution that doesn't require PC connection. I am positive that my dad won't buy the SD card reader.

socrates63
04-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Lastly, can tell me more about "chkdsk"? I'm one of the stupid people who don't know anything. Does Windoes XP has that program build-in??
Yes, "chkdsk" is included in WinXP. Click Start >> Run and enter "cmd". This will create a command line window. Enter "chkdsk /?" in the command line to display the help for it.

Is any other possible solution that doesn't require PC connection. I am positive that my dad won't buy the SD card reader.
If you want to use chkdsk, I'm pretty sure you will need a card reader as it only works with disk volumes. Without a card reader, I don't know how you can get the flash card to be recognized by Windows as a disk volume. Maybe there is a way to access the card from chkdsk while the card is inserted in the PPC and connected to the PC, but I don't know how.

Menneisyys
04-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Without a card reader, I don't know how you can get the flash card to be recognized by Windows as a disk volume. Maybe there is a way to access the card from chkdsk while the card is inserted in the PPC and connected to the PC, but I don't know how.

It's not possible with current WM releases. It's only with WM2005 that this will (probably - the PDA will surely be accessible as a USB mass storage device, but it's still not known storage cards in it will be also accessible with desktop disk management tools) be possible, as is with Palm OS + CardExport.

Menneisyys
04-26-2005, 09:56 AM
I really appreciate your suggestion. I think you should share your opinion with everybody to prevent more people from becoming a poor victim like me :cry: (It will be great if you make all your announcements in BOLD and CAP

That's a good idea. I'll open threads like this and will also write a detailed, objective roundup of PPC-based storage card utilities, with easily reproducable tests to point out their problems when I have some time. I'm trying to warn people of buggy programs, but my means are limited (forums-only), unless my articles/forum posts are linked from main site pages (as was the case with my MP3 roundup article, for example).

As for the disappeared files, can the desktop utilities retrieve them FOR SURE?? I just can't bare the fact that I might loose 480 MB of data. :cry:

chkdsk has always restored my lost files so far (I was in a lot of situations like this). I, however, don't guaranetee that your particular files will be restored.

However, if you don't trust it/want to be absolutely sure everything will be OK, give a try to GetDataBack for FAT ( http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm ) first. It is able to work in read-only mode too and will give you the possibility to restore the lost/damaged files to some other medium, unlike chkdsk.

Patrick Y.
04-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks a lot, guys. I might never fix my SD card without your help. My mom and dad decided to buy a SD card reader after all!! :D Now, I just hope that the solutions will work. Is there anything important I need to beware of when I repair the card?

Patrick Y.
04-28-2005, 04:00 AM
Wait a minute......... Please Help!

The enter the "fix" command and CHKDSK recover the files. However, it save them as .CHK. How can I change them to normal files???

Patrick Y.
04-28-2005, 05:49 AM
Update: I tried GetDataBack, but it appears that only the purchased version can recover the files. :(

Menneisyys
04-28-2005, 08:24 AM

The enter the "fix" command and CHKDSK recover the files. However, it save them as .CHK. How can I change them to normal files???

Great to hear they have been recovered!

How many of them are there? Were the lost files of the same type, or different? Do you remember what your card contained?

Generally, because chkdsk doesn't recover file names ("only" file contents), you need to rename the resulting .chk files yourself. In general, it's a very easy task if you have for example docs, databases etc. only on your card, a dn don't try to recover entire \Program Files directories (with a lot of different types of files) and the like.

Menneisyys
04-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Update: I tried GetDataBack, but it appears that only the purchased version can recover the files. :(

To recover: yes. To see what is on the card and what can be recovered, even the trial version will work. Then, if you're absolutely sure it would recover your stuff, the price for GetDataBack may not be that much any more. (Particularly because it's a pretty good utility - saved my life quite a few times by recovering unreadable hard drives that weren't readable by chkdsk.)

Patrick Y.
04-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Great to hear they have been recovered!

How many of them are there? Were the lost files of the same type, or different? Do you remember what your card contained?

Generally, because chkdsk doesn't recover file names ("only" file contents), you need to rename the resulting .chk files yourself. In general, it's a very easy task if you have for example docs, databases etc. only on your card, a dn don't try to recover entire \Program Files directories (with a lot of different types of files) and the like.

As I mentioned before, I loose more than 500 MB of data. (My SD card is totally filled) Therefore, I got tons of programs, Pictures, document, and tons of data. I will never be able to try to rename all :| . Also, CHKDSK recover the files and "scattered" them. I'll never be able put them bak into the right location. :cry:

However, GetDataBack can restore the data just the way they were. But I don't want to pay anymore extra money!!!!!!!

WHAT SHOULD I DO??????? :oops:

P.S. I HATE Pocket Mechanic :evil:

Menneisyys
04-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Also, CHKDSK recover the files and "scattered" them. I'll never be able put them bak into the right location.

But at least they're recovered. And it's pretty easy to decide what a given file is: just look at them on the desktop in, say, Total Commander, using the F3 button. Most of your files are standardized ones and, therefore, you'll be able to decide their type in a second (after a bit of training, that is) if you look at how they start.

Patrick Y.
04-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Most of your files are standardized ones and, therefore, you'll be able to decide their type in a second (after a bit of training, that is) if you look at how they start.

The only problem is that I got THOUSANDS of files. Is there any other programs like GetDataBack that's free?

Or, is there any other commercial ones that lets you recover the files without purchasing it?

$69 8O 8O is quite expensive, don't you think??

Menneisyys
04-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Most of your files are standardized ones and, therefore, you'll be able to decide their type in a second (after a bit of training, that is) if you look at how they start.

The only problem is that I got THOUSANDS of files. Is there any other programs like GetDataBack that's free?

Or, is there any other commercial ones that lets you recover the files without purchasing it?

$69 8O 8O is quite expensive, don't you think??

Nope, chkdsk is the only free choice AFAIK, as far as decent, reliable, albeit a little restricted functionality is concerned.

Patrick Y.
04-29-2005, 07:30 AM
I really appreciate your help. I'm quite lucky to meet you. Without your advices, I'll NEVER know what to do. Anyway, I decided to reinstall everything even though it will take me more than a week. It still seems more troublesome and problematic to recover the files. Also, the file system on my Pocket PC is already a mess. I really learned a lot from you !!! :D

welovejesus
09-05-2005, 04:24 PM
PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x (http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm) is a free data recovery program which supports FAT and NTFS.
For professional data recovery solutions (which cost money), consider: DriveSavers Data Recovery (http://www.drivesavers.com), Ontrack Data Recovery (http://www.ontrack.com/), ActionFront Data Recovery Labs Inc. (http://www.actionfront.com/), or ESS Data Recovery, Inc. (http://www.essdatarecovery.com/)

Menneisyys
09-05-2005, 04:58 PM
PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x (http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm) is a free data recovery program which supports FAT and NTFS.
For professional data recovery solutions (which cost money), consider: DriveSavers Data Recovery (http://www.drivesavers.com), Ontrack Data Recovery (http://www.ontrack.com/), ActionFront Data Recovery Labs Inc. (http://www.actionfront.com/), or ESS Data Recovery, Inc. (http://www.essdatarecovery.com/)

Patrick Y.
09-07-2005, 05:01 AM
It's nice to know there is a free alternative to GetDataBack. :D Thanks!

Menneisyys
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Just posted an extended followup on this stuff to my PPCMag Expert blog at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=how_do_i_fix_errors_on_my_storage_cards&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#trackbacks

Patrick Y.
10-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Just posted an extended followup on this stuff to my PPCMag Expert blog at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=how_do_i_fix_errors_on_my_storage_cards&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#trackbacks
nice!! 8)

hezahonker
02-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Oh man I wish File Inspector would work in my situation. I have a Kingston 512 that just plain died. The card is not detectable by device at all. I put it into the card reader and windows does not see it either. I downloaded file inspector and ran the scan it it found 2 logical on my windows pc and 4 physical two of which seem to be the sd card. One says removable #2 and the other is disk G which would be correct for the slot in the card reader. When I select the physical entries no preview appears as does for logical entries. The button to scan for logical drives seem to be the one to click so I do that and it starts scanning but starts giving my NT read errors something about a block or something. I am a novice at recovery. would love to figure this out if my card can be saved. If not Kingston has a new one for me regardless..

If anyone can help me I would much rather recover this card then have to send it out for a return.

hezahonker
02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Anyone? :cry:

Nurhisham Hussein
02-01-2006, 06:15 PM
If you're not too concerned about recovering the files on that card, I'd suggest trying a format. If that isn't possible (and given what you've said, I suspect the partition itself is non-viable) you may have to use something like f-disk to do a new partition, and then format it.

hezahonker
02-02-2006, 12:57 AM
hishamh,

Thanks! Yeah, would love to do a format but can't as you have pointed out. I will give fdisk a try. How is the interface...is it user friendly? I am not an expert.

hezahonker
02-02-2006, 01:05 AM
oh man, that stuff is over my head...fdisk is all sorts of file that I have no earthy idea what to do with. Anything easier out there for lay folks? 8O

hezahonker
02-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Fournd this for Windows XP Users

Unlike earlier versions of Windows such as Windows 98, users no longer need to setup the hard disk drive through fdisk and/or format. To setup a new hard disk drive in Windows XP, you must have administrative rights and follow the below steps.

1. Click Start / Settings / Control Panel
2. Click Administrative Tools / Computer Management.
3. In Computer Management, click the Plus next to Storage to make it a minus.
4. Under Storage you should now see Disk Management, click this icon.
5. Within this window you should see the drives being detected by Windows.
6. Within this window you should see a drive that is unallocated (probably drive 1), right-click this drive and click "Initialize Disk".
7. Once the drive has been Initialized, right-click the drive and click "New Partition". In the partition wizard you should be asked the Partition Type; specify primary, the partition size; specify the full drive capacity, the drive letter; specify the drive letter you wish to have the drive to be, and the format partition; specify NTFS or FAT32.

Only problem is that disk management finds the g drive but it says unreadable on the table so unless there is another way it appear I cannot create a new partition for it.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-02-2006, 02:08 PM
fdisk can be a bit frigthening - but it does exactly the same as Disk Management in XP, just without the GUI. I only suggested it because it's what I'm most familiar with. That said, if Disk Management can't do it, then you've probably got a defective card.

hezahonker
02-02-2006, 06:33 PM
:D Hey, no problem...I really appreciate it but it sounds like the card is toast.

No biggy, I have a return free of charge of from Kingston.

I want thank everyone here for the awesome info ...it will serve me well for the future. I am sure at some point given the reality of sd that I will utilize it.

ToddJ
03-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Is there a way to back up just the SD card?

Menneisyys
03-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Is there a way to back up just the SD card?

For example, with a filecopy to the desktop computer. Also, further versions of Spb Backup will also have card backup features - at least this is what the Spb people say.

hezahonker
03-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I went ahead and purchase spb as well and it does sound like they will look into the backup for sd. I have requested it and they seemed open. Great product. Glad I read Menneisyys information.

For those who would like backup automatically to the pc I use Mobsync to backup my spb backups from my sd card to the pc. works great.

applejosh
03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
For those who would like backup automatically to the pc I use Mobsync to backup my spb backups from my sd card to the pc. works great.

That is an excellent idea. I'll have to try that (once my X51v arrives, oh and after I try/buy SPB backup (being a Sprite user on my WM2003SE device right now)).

hezahonker
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
congrats on the new device AJ.

That x51v should be fun. The fact that Mobsync can automaticly sync my backups from my sd card makes my life sooo easy. I set my spb backup at 1230am and then when my device restarts it automatically connects wifi sync and viola it is all backed up in the morning when I come back to the pc. :D

applejosh
03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks. I hope it arrives tomorrow so I can have all weekend to, er, configure it. Yeah, get it ready for business use. (Inbetween the drywall patching, NCAA tournament pool I'm in charge of, possibly picking up a dog to dogsit for... Maybe Monday would be better. Nah.)

I'll have a whole new (WM5) world to learn what doesn't work. :)

hezahonker
06-25-2006, 04:41 PM
I have one question regarding defrag. Couldn't one just defrag the sd card while it is in the reader. If you click on drive properties, it gives you the options to repair or defrag as well. There would be no time spent having to copy files and is a bit user friendly regarding selecting an option to defrag rather than having to execute a run command which may be very confusing to laymen.

I would love to hear feedback on this technique.

Menneisyys
07-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I have one question regarding defrag. Couldn't one just defrag the sd card while it is in the reader. If you click on drive properties, it gives you the options to repair or defrag as well. There would be no time spent having to copy files and is a bit user friendly regarding selecting an option to defrag rather than having to execute a run command which may be very confusing to laymen.

I would love to hear feedback on this technique.

It's perfectly OK. However, defragging a card this way is far slower than just backing up the files from the card, probably quickformatting the card and copying the files back.

hezahonker
07-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Menneisyys,

Thanks for the response. Just so that I don't mistake anything here, when I copy my sd card files to the pc, will I have to defrag those? Or, am I just simply reformatting my card and replacing those with no further action to them specifically.

burtcom
07-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Nope -- when you copy the files to your PC, they may be fragmented when they are written to your hard drive, but that doesn't matter -- when you copy them back to the freshly-formatted SD card they will be unfragmented.

And as has been pointed out -- this process is much faster than running a defrag program :D

hezahonker
07-10-2006, 06:40 PM
burtcom,

Well, that certainly is a much better way. I guess I didn't realize that they can right themselves by just a mere copy back to the reformatted card. That is great news! I would be stupid not to do it this way. Thanks again.

Hezahonker

Brad Adrian
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
...For those who would like backup automatically to the pc I use Mobsync to backup my spb backups from my sd card to the pc...
I've had mixed success with Mobsync. It seems to work great, just like it's supposed to. But, I've found that it interferes with Activesync, especially if Mobsync is set to automatically do its thing.

If you're using Mobsync and are having trouble withy Activesync, try disabling Mobsyn and see if that clears things up.

bnycastro
12-16-2006, 10:50 AM
bumping this thread for future reference :)

Nurhisham Hussein
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
No worries, I've bookmarked this thread for reference, and I serve it up to anybody who has storage card problems.