View Full Version : Daily resets needed to keep the 'phone working - why?

martin_ayton
04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I have an Xda2s and I find that if I don't soft reset the thing at least once per day, the 'phone stops working. 'Stops working' means that if I make an outgoing call it appears to connect but I can't hear the other person and they hear me only very faintly, if at all. If I get an incoming call, it just rings and rings and nothing I can press or do will make the phone accept the call.

Is it me? Is it the Xda? Is there a patch or fix that will help?

I apologise for missing the thread if this has been discussed before - I did look!

Cheers,

Martin.

Chris Spera
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
I occasionally have the same problem with my PDA2k; so don't feel bad. I am CONSTANTLYLY running Scary Bear Software's Check Notifications and clearing out the extra junk from my notification database. If you don't have those go here (http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html) to get the software. Install BOTH apps on this page, soft reset, and then run Check Notifications.

you will likely want to run these every so often so the device doesn't run out of RAM. That's what's causing the problem...

Let us know if that helps...

MitchellO
04-26-2005, 09:37 AM
I reset maybe once every two days, not because I have to, but because it just keeps the device running smooth. Clears the program memory (not storage ram of course), and everything runs a bit better. Not sure why you have a problem like that though. Have you got the latest ROM? A ROM update might contain a fix for that.

martin_ayton
04-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Chris,

I've loaded them, thanks. We'll just have to see what happens now.

Interestingly, ScaryBear's download page for the apps says Note:
These utilities are not needed if you are using the Mobile 2003 SE OS
which I am (version 4.21.1088 - build 14132). Heck, I'll run them anyway and see if it helps :) .

Mitchell,

I have ROM version 1.12.62 WWE (ROM date: 10/04/04). Is there a ROM update available? O2 aren't exactly wonderful at issuing updates (I had to get the Bluetooth fix from elsewhere) so if there is an update, I would appreciate a link.

Thanks for your help, chaps.

Martin.

MitchellO
04-27-2005, 06:28 AM
O2 suck at updates. There is a Qtek update for the Magician (aka. XDA Minim imate JAM, Qtek s100) to v1.11, and o2 say my 1.03 is the latest!?!? :evil:

Ummm, not exactly sure where you can get the latest update for the Blue Angel. I would suggest going to XDA-Developers.

ftp://xda:[email protected]/BlueAngel/

martin_ayton
04-27-2005, 10:28 AM
I went to the XDA developers link. Way too scary for neophytes like me. The assumption that I know what I am doing and can just select the relevant file and do the right thing with it is very flattering :) but (in my case) wildly inaccurate. I'll have a look around and see if I can find an update on a site that gives step-by-step instructions. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

MitchellO
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Sorry! Umm, all I can think of is to wait for O2 in that case.

martin_ayton
04-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, I went back to the Xda-Developers site, but the http: site this time, not the ftp: site. Much more user-friendly, but does it always run that slow?

Surprise, surprise, after a little digging, it came up with a link to an apparently *official* O2 ROM update with step-by-step instructions for installation. This should upgrade your ROM to version 1.31.139 and the Radio version to 1.06. It is also supposed to install build 3500 of Bluetooth and make some changes to O2 Active. Click here (http://www.sourceo2.com/O2_Developers/Devices/O2_Xda_II/XdaIIs_launchROM.htm) to go there

MitchellO
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah, it has been quite slow for a few days. Not sure why.

Nice find on the ROM! XDA-Dev is a good site. I am in the process of updating my ROM to the latest Qtek ROM (1.11), with a mod that gives you 27mb of Flash Storage!! Have to wait until i get my Mini back though. The speaker died :( :cry: