View Full Version : Please Help!

Patrick Y.
04-24-2005, 11:57 PM
For some reason, my computer is extremely slow and unstable. I've been trying to find some solution for months. However, I'm sure that the problem isn't caused by virus. Also, I didn't install a lot of programs. Only about 15 GB of disk space is used. The computer I have is emachine t4060 running Windows XP Home Edition with Pentium 4 2GHz. What's wrong with it?????

Glohamar
04-25-2005, 02:04 AM
You might have spyware. Try downloading and installing Microsoft's AntiSpyware here (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx). You can also try Spybot Search and Destroy and also Adaware. Just google for them.

HTH

Dave

Roosterman
04-25-2005, 02:51 AM
Spyware would be my guess too. Do you use one of the P2P networks to download music, movies, etc. Usually, they will load you up with all kinds of spyware.

Darius Wey
04-25-2005, 03:30 AM
Apart from the aforementioned suggestions, it may be worth giving your computer a defragmentation pass.

Patrick Y.
04-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Though, I've already installed Macfee Virus scan/firewall and Microsoft AntiSpyware. I also ran a scan every night, but nothing was detected. Also, I've defragment the disk just a few months ago. But I'll try to do it again........ I hope it will help. :cry: :cry: :cry:

jimski
04-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Just a thought. Make sure the CPU fan (all cabinet fans for that matter) is working. A hot CPU can make a system sluggish and unstable.

Hrun
04-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Also, I've defragment the disk just a few months ago. But I'll try to do it again........ I hope it will help. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I defrag at least once a week and every time I add or remove a program.

Darius Wey
04-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Also, I've defragment the disk just a few months ago. But I'll try to do it again........ I hope it will help. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Generally, that's the best path to follow.

Patrick, defragging once every few months isn't really efficient.

Patrick Y.
04-26-2005, 12:02 AM

The computer is really a lot faster after the defragmentation. Thanks. However, now I got a really SERIOUS problem with the storage card on my Pocket PC. I'm wondering if you can help me with it too. I have the details here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=340501#340501

Patrick Y.
04-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!