View Full Version : Question On HP Bluetooth headphones

King_Darko
04-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey all. Firstly, if this is in the wrong place, can a mod please move it?

Well I am looking into purchasing some HP Bluetooth headphones, but I was wondering if there was any side project going on to make them useable with other devices then an HP PDA, more specifically, my Desktop PC. Has anyone head anything?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Fleet

jpf
04-26-2005, 12:57 AM
some random thoughts... Connecting to other devices I would expect this to be a function of the bluetooth stack they have.
My pc has a kensington BT usb key which comes with WIDCOMM drivers which (I think) will happily connect to most anything. M$ and Logitech provide BT stacks that are restricted to connecting to the devices you bought from them, i.e. keyboard/mice. HP might be the same, they might also build the pairing into the drivers so that you don't know the code and can't set it so the devices won't pair up (connect)..
Even if you start with Widcomm drivers, XP SP2 will install it's own stack and restrict functionality. So there is a fair amount of information on The Net about getting your original drivers back.
So to answer your question: You might be able to get this to work if the HP drivers support it or if you get a BT dongle for your desktop that has widcomm drivers AND the device will allow you to pair.
I would personally find some independent BT phones and a USB BT dongle (similar to kensingtons) because you will have the best chance of pairing with different types of device.

Sven Johannsen
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Little less random thought. The HP BT headphones rely on AD2P (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), also known as the High Quality Audio profile. HPs first release of the driver/profile update that came with the headphones, seemed to only work with HP PPCs

The latest version seems to work on more PPCs. It works on my Dell X50v, to include the forward/reverse and play/pause buttons.

I have not seen any BT stacks on a PC or laptop that support that profile, not even on HPs (how dumb). Note that a headset profile and headphone profile are different. Headset is what you want for VoIP, with an earphone and mic. Headphone is what you want for stereo.

The Bluetake iPhono set is more universal, but it comes with an audio dongle for the music source. I haven't seen any good indication that it comes with a BT stack update that would let you use it without the dongle for stereo, though it says it supports A2DP if you got it already. The Bluetake supports the standard headset profile with cell phones and the like directly.