View Full Version : Been out of the Handheld arena for too long

4Him
04-22-2005, 08:57 PM
I would like your help please. As I look down at my Casio E-105 with Windows CE Ver 2.11, I'm thinking it's about time to retire this thing.

When I first looked into replacing this once before the iPaq 4150 just came out. I like that form factor and I don't want anything bigger than that. Other things I want is the wireless networking built in, being able to listen to MP3s, ability to have the GPS and all the Windows things, using it as my daytimer. My desktop is a Win XP with Office XP Prof.

What is the best thing out there right now and how much money are we talking?

Thank you in advance for your time,
4Him

Jason Dunn
04-22-2005, 09:03 PM
If you don't want anything bigger than the iPAQ 4150, then you have exactly one choice:

The iPAQ 4150. :D

There is no other device on the market that size, and as long as you're OK with having a 2003 device (not 2003 SE) and an older version of Windows Media Player, it's a GREAT Pocket PC.

4Him
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
A way belated thank you for the post. My feeling is still the same ...
When I first looked into replacing this once before the iPaq 4150 just came out. I like that form factor and I don't want anything bigger than that. Other things I want is the wireless networking built in, being able to listen to MP3s, ability to have the GPS and all the Windows things, using it as my daytimer. My desktop is a Win XP with Office XP Prof.

Is there anything new that's come out or is coming out?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

4Him

Darius Wey
01-28-2006, 04:52 AM

There is the iPAQ rx1950 (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=storefronts&category=handhelds&subcat1=see_all_ipaqs&catLevel=2&product_code=FA629A%23ABA) which has the same form factor as the iPAQ h4150. It's running Windows Mobile 5.0, and though it includes Wi-Fi, it lacks Bluetooth and has meagre amounts of memory. Bottom line - it's an entry-level Pocket PC.

4Him
01-28-2006, 05:49 AM

There is the iPAQ rx1950 (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=storefronts&category=handhelds&subcat1=see_all_ipaqs&catLevel=2&product_code=FA629A%23ABA) which has the same form factor as the iPAQ h4150. It's running Windows Mobile 5.0, and though it includes Wi-Fi, it lacks Bluetooth and has meagre amounts of memory. Bottom line - it's an entry-level Pocket PC.

Darius,

Thank you for the suggestion. So it sounds like if I can find a h4150, I would be in better shape. Would you agree or not? Is there another choice?

Darius Wey
01-28-2006, 06:17 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. So it sounds like if I can find a h4150, I would be in better shape. Would you agree or not? Is ther another choice?

If you don't mind not having the latest operating system, then the h4150 sounds like a better pick for you. Other than the rx1950, no other Pocket PC currently on the market is as small as the h4150.

pocketpcadmirer
01-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Try hx2790. I know it a bit thicker and not-that-good-looking PPC as 4150,but, still it is very pocketable and packs a lot of great features. It also uses the latest WM5 OS

Sunny :)

Patrick Y.
01-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Try hx2790. I know it a bit thicker and not-that-good-looking PPC as 4150,but, still it is very pocketable and packs a lot of great features. It also uses the latest WM5 OS

Sunny :)
Isn't that device really pricey? I would get x51v for $324 with VGA and tons of stuff. Besides, x51v is smaller and nicer looking than 2790.

BTW, I think n300 is the most powerful PPC available that's the same size as 4150. Nice looking and cheap too with VGA.

pocketpcadmirer
01-29-2006, 05:28 PM
I would get x51v for $324 with VGA and tons of stuff. Besides, x51v is smaller and nicer looking than 2790.

Patrick, you must be knowing the known issues the people are having with their X51V(go to aximsite for more details). The devise looks great in theory,but,currently it shares a host of bugs.

Also, I'm yet to hear a person complaining about hx2790 series :)

Sunny

Patrick Y.
01-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Look around Mobility today's and mobility site's ipaq forum and you will find threads such as this (http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10590)

Dell is steadily coming out with updates to fix the issues. Most people who posted at Aximsite are people who are having troubles, which is caused by third-party applications 90% of time. Most carefree people don't post except for weird lurkers like us. :lol: Besides, quite a few people I know love their x51v. There are way more x51v owners than hx2000 series owners thus you hear less complains about hx2000 series.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not biased. You should know that I'm STILL VERY FURIOUS regarding the horrible WM5 upgrade for x50v. Though, x51v is quite reliable.

4Him
02-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Well based on what I see of the Acer n300 review, this looks like the PPC that is for me.

Does anyone have any news on the anticipated availability date?

Thanks to all for the direction

Paul