View Full Version : How long will accessories still be available...?

caubeck
04-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi,

I use an iPAQ 1935, which covers my current needs in every respect. Of course my next PDA will be far more powerful, but I have a question: how long do you think accessories for this device will remain available, now that it's no longer on sale? I would not like to be forced to upgrade just because I can't buy a replacement charging cable or screen protector that fits.

For the record, I've been using this iPAQ every day for almost two years with no trouble at all and no software problems to speak of.

Chris

emuelle1
04-22-2005, 06:50 PM
My mother in law has a 1940. It kills me that all she uses that fine unit for is to play games.

You'd be surprised at how long you can find items on Ebay. You may have to spend time searching, but if your unit holds up I'm sure that even a few years from now, someone somewhere will be listing accessories on Ebay.

caubeck
04-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!

Actually I've been thinking about this as the head on the charge/sync cable has a bent, er, "prong" which doesn't affect charging but is annoying to insert into the device (at a slight angle). I'll buy another cable next month, when my finances allow, but I'd hate to be hunting down rare parts in a year's time.

When I look at the new iPAQs on display I just can't see myself with one that isn't so small and light and elegant (in my opinion). I guess I'll be hunting 1945s on eBay too when the time comes...

emuelle1
04-22-2005, 07:18 PM
It sure is a fine unit. Nice and small, but powerful. I can't tell you how many times I've fought the urge to ask her to trade it for my 3765 if all she wants to do is play games. I'd load up a couple hundred megs of games in that case.

Of course, I'll have a Dell x30 by the end of next week.

I think you'll be happy with that unit for quite a while. I've had my 3765 for almost two years, and I bought it used. I really like the design of the 19xx series. Small, compact, but highly useful.

Menneisyys
04-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Actually I've been thinking about this as the head on the charge/sync cable has a bent, er, "prong" which doesn't affect charging but is annoying to insert into the device (at a slight angle). I'll buy another cable next month, when my finances allow, but I'd hate to be hunting down rare parts in a year's time.

You don't need to be afraid of this. All new iPAQ's have exactly the same cables, power supplies etc so you can use virtually any iPAQ power supply/cable for your device.

As for the device itself: I've bought my Jornada 680 some 6 and my Casio E-125 some 5 years ago and can still get the most important parts for them (batteries, screens if they break etc). So, you don't need to be afraid of the serviceability either for at least 5 years.

emuelle1
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
I like the fact that they finally standardized accessories. The only thing my 3765 is compatible with is the A/C adaptor. But with the 3800 series on, you can pretty much use the same data cables, keyboards, etc.

caubeck
04-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I haven't had time to look into this yet, but there's one thing I don't understand: if the cables etc. have been standardized, why do I see sync and charge cables on sale specifically for certain iPAQ numbers?

More to the point, if I walk into my local store and buy any old sync cable for any iPAQ, will it fit my 1935? If so, that's great, so why do the packets and online retailers specify the iPAQ numbers all the time?

Is there any iPAQ cable I should not buy? Can anyone give me an example of one that would fit my unit?

These probably sound like dumb questions but the people working at the stores here in Madrid (Spain) don't seem to have much idea about the devices they're selling.

Menneisyys
04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
I haven't had time to look into this yet, but there's one thing I don't understand: if the cables etc. have been standardized, why do I see sync and charge cables on sale specifically for certain iPAQ numbers?

Because not all iPAQ users know that the connectors are exactly the same in all iPAQ models released starting with the 38xx series. This way, much more cables can be sold for iPAQ users that also upgrade to newer iPAQ's.

phs
05-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I like the fact that they finally standardized accessories. The only thing my 3765 is compatible with is the A/C adaptor. But with the 3800 series on, you can pretty much use the same data cables, keyboards, etc.

Not exactly. I had a serial keyboard with my 3850 that I couldn't use with my 2210. I think HP turned the connector upside down just for the heck of it.

rob_ocelot
05-24-2005, 10:32 PM

Because not all iPAQ users know that the connectors are exactly the same in all iPAQ models released starting with the 38xx series. This way, much more cables can be sold for iPAQ users that also upgrade to newer iPAQ's.

There's also the different power consumption configurations for certain models eg. the 41xx and 43xx series cannot use USB sync and charge cables reliably because they draw a tad more current than other iPAQ models wth the same connector. It is for this reason that PPCTechs offers a USB sync and charge cable for the 41xx and 43xx models.