View Full Version : What is Minimo?? What is it good for?

Patrick Y.
04-22-2005, 03:33 AM
I've heard about Minimo, a small internet browser, for quite a long time. Just recently, I downloaded just for fun. Though, it seems to be a terribly plain, simple browser. What exactly is it good for anyway? Does it have any special function?

ADBrown
04-22-2005, 05:04 AM
It's not very good yet. It's still in the very early stages, so it's not useful for actual web browsing, but since it's based on Firefox everyone hopes it will eventually get good.

Kowalski
04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
i dont use my pda for browsing because PIE has very limited capabilities. i hope minimo will render windows mobile usable for web browsing

MitchellO
04-22-2005, 02:15 PM
When I tried it, it took up 9mb!!!! Definately not small yet.

Wiggster
04-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Minimo is not a public release browser. It is not a beta browser. It is a work in process that is more of a "proof of concept" application than it is a consumer application. It's a port of Mozilla (not Firefox, although Firefox is based off of Mozilla) designed for PDAs. You probably shouldn't download this expecting to replace your browser any time in the next year. It's being developed and the only reason to download it is to help look for bugs.

And I daresay that 9mb is very small for a Mozilla browser. How much space do you think Pocket IE takes up, in total, including what's on the ROM?

Kurt Alden
04-25-2005, 01:41 PM
At least Minimo's a start.

I really can't find a useable browser for my ipaq - tried em all.

However, Opera on my Smartphone is just brilliant. I WISH they'd produce Opera for the Pocket pc.

applejosh
04-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Hopefully, they're not too far off. They already have a technical preview for MS Smartphone (which according to the press release expired end of last month).

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2004/12/22/

stevelam
04-25-2005, 05:31 PM
However, Opera on my Smartphone is just brilliant. I WISH they'd produce Opera for the Pocket pc.

I read in the PPC mag that i subscribe to that they are creating Opera for ppc's. Anyway if WM 2005 runs smartphone programs (as the leaked copy does) then you might see it sooner rather than later!!! :lol:

Kurt Alden
04-26-2005, 10:08 AM
I read in the PPC mag that i subscribe to that they are creating Opera for ppc's.

Oh really? That's great news. I emailed them a while back about it and they said they had no plans to do so.

Anyway if WM 2005 runs smartphone programs (as the leaked copy does) then you might see it sooner rather than later!!!

WM2005 runs smartphone programs? Veeery interesting. It always seemed logical this should be possible as the .net framework for Pocket PC is basically a superset of that for the Smartphone. However, that would assume that they use the same cpu's surely?

stevelam
04-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Ahh i see your point about processors but apparently in WM 2005 there wil be no individual versions (eg PPC, Smartphone) it will all be one version :lol:

mrgreenster
04-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Minimo is a step in the right direction, but open source on PPC is like walking upstream almost. The community is very indifferent towards projects like these, compared to on other platforms. A Mozilla based browser project for PPC should have been started ages ago, then it would be a stable, mature browser by now. Instead, its only in its infancy at the moment, do try to remember that, eh?

:wink: