View Full Version : New Axim X50 and X50v ROM Updates Available from Dell

Darius Wey
04-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Dell's recently released A03 ROM Updates for the X50 and X50v feature a host of new enhancements. The updates have:<br /><li>Improved the compatibility with certain CF cards<br /><li>Improved the power management within the CompactFlash driver<br /><li>Improved the WLAN driver for the unrecognized card issue<br /><li>Improved Bluetooth memory management<br /><li>Enhanced the processor speed scheme (Auto) for better balance between performance and battery life<br /><li>Improved the compatibility of Bluetooth FTP<br /><li>Make the wireless button driver more robust<br /><li>Improved the compatibility of Switcher Bar application<br /><li>Enhanced the compatibility of Data Backup utility<br /><li>Enhanced the WEP key security<br /><li>Updated the Funk Odyssey client<br /><li>Improved the frequency change mechanism of 2700G (X50v only)<br /><li>Fixed issue when pausing live streaming video (X50v only)<br /><li>Updated 2700G display driver (X50v only)The updates can be downloaded from the Dell website. For the Axim X50, click <a href="http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=6739&devlib=7&category=0&releaseid=R98709">here</a>, and for the Axim X50v, click <a href="http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7&category=0&releaseid=R98710">here</a>. As always, remember to backup first, and to read the instructions carefully when updating.

Jonathon Watkins
04-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Great. New features. :D

Not so great, the hard reset and reinstall. :?

Still, it's good to see Dell standing behind thier device. 8)

I await to see if we'll get an update to Magneto, in the same way we got an update from PPC2002 to PPC2003 in with the X5..........

zilla31
04-21-2005, 12:29 PM
ugh. desperately want to apply this to try and fix my wlan card and BT memory issues but the thought of reinstalling everything w/o using sprite backup (which isn't really reinstalling i guess) is painful :(

bvkeen
04-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I'll definitely apply this update tonight (was just about ready to hard reset anyway, just to do a good system cleanup).

I am impressed with Dell's PPC support, with this being the second major ROM update from them this year. Maybe this is a good indicator that they will provide a Magneto update once Microsoft releases it.

Ward
04-21-2005, 01:32 PM
For UK users, the Dell UK support site hasn't been updated with the ROM yet - but it appears to be the same. I backed up everything, applied the upgrade and it went fine. There is the ability to select UK in the region control panel applet, so everything is spelt correctly! ( :P )

I restored the backup (including applications, etc) even when they advised you not to. Everything is fine - but then again, I don't use the Odyssey client. It feels quicker off the mark.

Jonathon Watkins
04-21-2005, 01:36 PM
It feels quicker off the mark.

Good, good. :) I'm heading off for a few days, so will do this when I get back. Cheers for being our Guinea-pig. :wink:

Wasp
04-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I wish HP was as responsive. I guess I know where I'll buy my next Pocket PC. :cry:

Sven Johannsen
04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
I await to see if we'll get an update to Magneto, in the same way we got an update from PPC2002 to PPC2003 in with the X5..........

My gut always said that if an OEM was releasing the same hardware with the new OS, an upgrade to current users was generally forthcoming. Recall Dell actully produced X5s with 2003 on them. I haven't a clue if DELL is going to release a new device or just release X50s with the new OS, but I think that's the key.

Someone let us know if this really clears up the requirement to soft reset before starting BT or WiFi 90% of the time. I never bothered with A02 as there wasn't anything that compelling, and yes re-building is a pain. Fixing the BT driver and unrecognized card issue would be worth it.

Don't Panic!
04-21-2005, 02:48 PM
After A02 all I had to do was close programs, Usually MS Reader to get by the not enough memory issue when starting blueetooth. That will be one of the first things I try Sven. I'll let you know if the message disappears completely after this update.

Jonathon Watkins
04-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Recall Dell actully produced X5s with 2003 on them. I haven't a clue if DELL is going to release a new device or just release X50s with the new OS, but I think that's the key.

Yup, that's what I was referring to. :wink:

I am hopeful that we will see an upgrade. It would fit in with Dell's previous pattern of operation and to be honest, it is one of the reasons I chose Dell's X50v; the chance of an OS upgrade. Having one device that straddles two OS releases has been a good for them in the past. I hope it will also be so in the futures. :)

powder2000
04-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Ya, the thought of reinstalling everything sucks but I will run this and report how it works out. I ended up changing the power management from auto to fast because of the speed issues. I also had some issues with bluetooth not connecting to my gps. Good on ya Dell!

powder2000
04-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Worked fine, now I just have to load all twenty something programs I had installed, if I can remember what they were!

Deus
04-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Everybody is always saying you need to reinstall everything. I have always used Sprite backup and have never had any issues. I do still get the enhancements and my data. The information in ROm isn't going to get updated by a backup restore. I did the A03 ROM update and have no issue as always. I suggest you try it. Unless you like the torture of reinstall.

Paragon
04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
The information in ROm isn't going to get updated by a backup restore.

The information changed when doing a ROM flash is NOT all in ROM. There are many changes made to the registry, and other files and settings, that can be changed when restoring from a previous backup.....sorry Deus, I hate to be disagreeable.

[EDIT] I just saw this in the instructions for this update:

After completing the system update, the Data Backup Application on the X50v can be used to restore previous backup files from a previous operating system release.

This is very nice to see......I like Dell more and more all the time. :)

Deus
04-21-2005, 05:59 PM
They usually don't put that in. I have noticed in the pat that I have received the enhancements after doing restores. I wonder what volatile information was getting overwritten because I did see the changes? :\

Paragon
04-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Well my previous post was done after quickly reading Dell's instructions, on my JAM while in the car...so I missed some of what it said...my bad!

The complete statement:

After completing the system update, the Data Backup Application on the X50v can be used to restore previous backup files from a previous operating system release.

However, there is a possibility some new features may be disabled.

Dell recommends to only backup PIM data from a previous system and restore to a new system. All other applications should be re-installed again on the new system to make sure new features are not disabled.

wocket
04-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Well i'll be doing the update in work tomorrow if I get the chance been so busy lately i've hardly had the time to... oh darn it back to work.

bvkeen
04-21-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm replying from my A03-updated x50v. I've reloaded all my must have apps and may add more later. Initial impression is good, but still really need to put it through the grind. I updated from A01, because A02 gave strange screen tap behavior and I went back to A01. No screen tap probs noted in A03.

Sven Johannsen
04-22-2005, 05:20 AM
Worked fine, now I just have to load all twenty something programs I had installed, if I can remember what they were!

You know you can just go to AS Add/Remove programs and the ones you installed before will be listed, right? You just check the box and it installs it again. Most apps work that way, though a few don't. Some like SPB even store the registration key on the PC when you install the first time, so you don't have to hunt that up again for each app.

patriotboy
04-22-2005, 06:49 AM
It seems much faster to me. I also like the requirement for a second push of the button needed to enable wifi. I was always turning it on accidentally.

patriotboy
04-22-2005, 06:58 AM
I'm new here, so please forgive me if OT posts are frowned upon.

Does anyone know of a good offline RSS reader. I use RSSsynch, but it only synchs a few of the feeds at a time. I know that the other feeds are new, because I've checked it live against bloglines.

bbarker
04-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Then again, when I don't remember what I had installed I end up installing only what I use all of the time, saving memory.

bbarker
04-22-2005, 07:22 AM
I restored the backup (including applications, etc) even when they advised you not to. Everything is fine - but then again, I don't use the Odyssey client. It feels quicker off the mark.
What is the Odyssey client?

rob_levine
04-22-2005, 03:15 PM
I've just installed the update and done a hard reset and re-install and it all seems to work. No need to play 'musical wireless connections' anymore. They both (Bluetooth and WLAN) seem quite happy to run similtaneously, even when I have other apps open.

You can also double-click the wireless button quickly to activate wireless mode, instead of having to wait a second between clicks (as per the A02 update).

Hurray!

Rob Levine

P.S. I installed from the US web site, even though I am in the UK. As previously posted, there don't seem to be any issues.

Don't Panic!
04-22-2005, 05:17 PM
@Sven-Well I had 40th Floor iPlay playing Mp3's Reader open and was able to start bluetooth and get on the web without getting a not enough memory to start bluetooth message. I think you'll like this one Sven.

bbarker
04-22-2005, 09:20 PM
The upgrade seems to have gone well for me. I appreciate Dell's support in already releasing two ROM updates to improve existing products.

nategesner
04-22-2005, 10:49 PM
It seems much faster to me. I also like the requirement for a second push of the button needed to enable wifi. I was always turning it on accidentally.

This option was available since the A02 upgrade. You could have been using it for months! ;)

Does anyone notice any significant changes in performance? I upgraded immediately with A02 and loved it, but everythings working perfectly right now and I don't want to risk messing it up. If it ain't broke, why fix it?!?

I guess I'll wait and see what everyone says.

dnacpil
04-25-2005, 11:43 PM
One of the things I notice and I really care about the new A03 update is the BT/WiFi can be "ON" at the same time. GREAT!!! Now I can use my ThinkOutside BT Keyboard &amp; BT mouse and at the same time be connected to the internet using WiFi. I've also managed to use the BT Keyboard/BT mouse along with my BT cellphone connected to the internet via GPRS with no problem.

When I first got my X50v (switched from h4705) I updated it to A02 right away and I couldn't tell the difference between A01 &amp; A02. Now from A02 to A03, my overall experience is EXCELLENT! A03 seems much more snappier from A02.

nategesner
04-26-2005, 04:25 AM
Completed the update and restored all my programs from a backup. I installed everything fresh for the A02 upgrade, but I don't have time this round. All my programs work great. I noticed a small increase in available RAM, but haven't noticed any other improvements.

When A02 came out, everyone noticed the screen was more sensitive, some features were added (double-click for WiFi), graphics were faster, etc. I haven't heard anyone saying that this time around. Are the upgrades just not significant enough? I'm hearing rumors of improved battery life, but nobody can verify it or tell me what "improved" means.

Guess I'll keep waiting and reading.

Sven Johannsen
04-26-2005, 03:26 PM
One of the things I notice and I really care about the new A03 update is the BT/WiFi can be "ON" at the same time. :?: That was, or should have been, always that way. One of the irritants on the original is that the wireless button turned on both by default. There were add on programs that let you turn on just Wifi with the side button.

I'm still running A01 on my X50v, and have no problem running both WiFi and BT....as long as I soft reset before i try to start them. I hear that is fixed, but haven't had a chance to upgrade and rebuild.

I am not going to do a restore. Whether it seems to work or not, it is not recommended as there can be hidden issues that crop up. It's just safer to start from scratch, and probably worthwhile anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if the typically impression that ROM upgrades cause some performance boost isn't due to the hard reset and rebuild. Cleans out the gunk ;)

MMMGT
04-27-2005, 05:26 AM
I just got in on the x50V+second battery for $308 deal that I noticed at FatWallet... Have an h2215 that is sorely in need of an upgrade, couldn't resist such a sweet deal and with the fresh firmware - all the better!

Thanks for keeping us up on that latest in PocketPC news! I'll report back on what I think of the A03 update as well - its already sitting on my desk waiting for the v to arrive :-D