View Full Version : Awesome Bible Software

Atrius Rex
04-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Much of what is bandied about on the forums here deals with freeware but for $29.99 (USD) I picked up the Zondervan NIV Study Bible by Mobile Digital Media (MDM) and it is superb.

Includes 6 complete bible versions, study notes, daily reading plans, memorization tools and more. For mobile folks who need bible access on the road, purists, scholars, etc. this is a must.

emuelle1
04-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Do you have a link to that? It sound interesting. I do admit with the freeware, you pretty much have to want to use the King James, MKJV, LITV, or maybe the ASV. Lately I've been using the New King James, which of course isn't available with the freeware programs.

socrates63
04-23-2005, 05:50 AM
Here's the link (http://www.gomdm.com/p_bible.asp).

But if you read the Additional System Requirements at the bottom of the page, you will see that PocketBible and other Laridian software is required to take advantage of the bundle.

This isn't a new product. The NIV Study Bible has been available directly from Laridian for quite some time, and PocketBible itself has been around.

OP, you should be singing the praises of PocketBible, not the NIV Study Bible. The two are not one and the same.

I'm a little confused on whether PocketBible and the other Laridian programs are included in the $29.99 price. The link lists PocketBible as a requirement which would indicate to me that it's not a part of the bundle but a separate purchase. However, the main product description describes a Bible reader.

The product listing is misleading as it implies everything is included (Bible reader, translation, etc.) but the requirement lists PocketBible.

mrgreenster
04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Charging for the bible really is rediculous, it should be shared freely and no profits be made from it. Compensation for time spent on development should be on a donation basis, like Pocket E-Sword. Which is an excellent bible reader 8)

yankeejeep
04-27-2005, 04:12 PM
In many cases, the software developers must pay royalties on the text of the translation (NIV is a case in point). The translation itself is not public domain and cannot be distributed without fee to the copyright owner(s). You will note on the Laridian site that those translations that are public domain are free to download, but they are few. You will see the same at the Olive Tree site. Most of the more recent translations have stringent copyright protections that require a fee for each copy of the entire text that is distributed in any form, including electronic.

Lex
04-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Pocket e-Sword offers some copyrighted versions at 'no charge'. (ESV, The Message) I hope folks will $upport the developer, but versions are free if you so choose. Either the developer paid the freight or the publishers see e-Sword as a worthy means of advertising for their versions.

baker
04-28-2005, 01:23 PM
The soft looks like Laridian. Am I wrong here?

Lex
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
It's Laridian. See #2 post above.

emuelle1
04-28-2005, 02:19 PM
There are some versions that are copyrighted, but the publisher has no problem with them being freely distribuated in electronic format. The ISV, I believe, was the first to use this approach. If you want a paperback copy, you have to pay, but Rick Meyers (E-sword), and Olive Tree (and others) distribute it as a free download as per the intent of the publisher. The MKJV (Modern King James Version) is the same way.

Rick Meyers and many of his supporters have contacted the publishers of many of these versions requesting that they be made available in E-sword format. The Lockman Foundation allows the NASB and AMP for a charge. I guess this is a suitable compromise for those willing to pay.