View Full Version : Bluetooth reliability

cab124
04-20-2005, 05:31 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced reliability problems with Bluetooth connections. I have an HP iPaq 2215 and a new GlobalStat BT-338 GPS unit. However, I can't seem to get a Bluetooth connection to last for more than about 5 minutes. It connects up just fine, but after a short period of time, the connection is lost. This occurs whether I am in my car or on foot.

I have always had similar results when I try to sync by Bluetooth as well. The connection is usually lost sometime before the sync is completed. Very annoying.

Is this problem likely related to the BT implementation on the 2215, or is this just a BT problem in general????

Appreciate any input!!
Thanks!

doughboy
04-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Have you installed the v1.1 ROM update plus the additional Bluetooth related patch dated after the ROM update's issuance? Both can be located via HP's website under Software and Drivers.

Best Wishes,

cab124
04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the response!

I have thr ROM update, but I wasn't aware of a BT update. I will check that out.

Thanks!!

Sven Johannsen
04-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Just to interject, that is a common problem, but not inherent to BT as a whole.

I have had a BT connection stay up for hours between my X50v or HP4155 and either a Socket GPS or a Delorme one. It only cut out when I turned it off. I have my BT phone connected to my car BT set constantly when I am in the car. I've sat with a BT ActiveSync connection for hours.

On the other hand, my wife's cell phone had constant BT dropouts on her car set. We just had the car set replaced, as my phone had problems in her car, and her phone worked fine in mine.

So, there could be hardware issues. BT disconnects are oft reported, but it doesn't seem to me, just a problem with the technology. Seems more like hardware issues.

cab124
04-21-2005, 12:47 AM
That is good to know. I was begining to think that maybe I made a mistake buying a GPS unit that is Bluetooth only. I can't maintain a connection long enough to really be useful.

I realy hope that the problem is the 2215 rather than BT in general. Otherwise.....I guess we will have to hope that wireless USB will be the answer.