View Full Version : Sending pictures on my SD card to the web?

ToddJ
04-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I am about to go on a trip to Denver, CO to see U2 and was wondering what is the best way to send my pics from my SD card to the web via the WiFi? I looked at the Inbox program, but there doesn't seem to be an option to attach anything from the SD storage. I do have a Flickr account, but there is a limit to how much I can upload. Any suggestions? (also, what does the Spb imageer use to publish stuff to the web? I am trying to use that right now, with no results.)

yankeejeep
04-19-2005, 03:22 PM
I looked at the Inbox program, but there doesn't seem to be an option to attach anything from the SD storage.
Like most of the PPC built-in apps, Inbox will only wants to see documents that are located in a 'My Documents' folder. So you can either copy the files to your device's 'My Documents' folder or create one at the root level of your SD card and move the images into that. You will need to set up an Inbox account for an email provider if you want to use it for email when you can't connect to the desktop that acts as your ActiveSync host. Remember that the default Outlook Email inbox account on your device only works in conjunction with the AS host.

Also note that when you attach a file to an Inbox email, it scans your entire device for files (including your memory cards) and returns a list after this scan is complete. It can create quite a pause before the file list populates and allows you to select what you wish to send. As with many things Windows Mobile, patience will be required.

hamishmacdonald
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
I've been looking into this, too, and not finding anything helpful as yet.

Imageer uses a Flickr-like web-based service called Fotki (something like that) for its uploads, but something about the site's configuration has changed, and this feature of the program no longer works. The developers tell me they're looking to fix it in the next version of the program (not so helpful now).

There's a program for photojournalists that can upload via FTP, but the price is crazy, like $500USD:
http://idruna.com/pocketphojo.html

On the Palm platform, there's something called SplashBlog:
http://www.splashdata.com/splashblog/index.htm
It's coming for the Pocket PC, say the developers. But it's not here yet.

So at the moment it doesn't seem like there's anything to do this job automatically for us. I suppose it may be possible to upload pictures to a photo website one by one, but that would get tiresome pretty quickly on a Pocket PC.

EDIT: I just tried posting from Imageer to Fotki today (21 June, 2005), and it's working again!

Menneisyys
04-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I am about to go on a trip to Denver, CO to see U2 and was wondering what is the best way to send my pics from my SD card to the web via the WiFi? I looked at the Inbox program, but there doesn't seem to be an option to attach anything from the SD storage. I do have a Flickr account, but there is a limit to how much I can upload. Any suggestions? (also, what does the Spb imageer use to publish stuff to the web? I am trying to use that right now, with no results.)

Spb Imageer works great for me at uploading to the Web.

Neither of the other image viewer/editor apps have direct HTTP publish (!) capabilities. As most online image repositories, however, can be accessed by plain FTP (and not, say, HTTP upload or some proprietary TCP/IP protocol), you can use either the above-mentioned Pocket Phojo. Unfortunately, other image veiwers don't have built-in FTP clients up to date. (More info on them in my forthcoming article on image viewers/editors (http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/PICVIEWERS/)).

As Pocket Phojo may be a bit expensive/ professional for your needs, you may also want to consider a self-standing FTP application. It has a disadvantage of not being integrated in an image viewer, so, you'll need to do some extra manual work before being able to upload the images to the Web, but they are a lot less expensive.

There're three major FTP clients for the PPC, Resco File Explorer's FTP plug-in, vxFtp and CedeFTP. Of the three, CedeFTP is the fastest at uploading from memory cards; the close second is Resco File Explorer's FTP plug-in. vxFtp, while being absolutely the best at downloading, is really slow at downloading.

I've published my benchmarks and other remarks on PPC FTP clients at http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2562 .

Feel free to ask further questions.