View Full Version : iPaq compatible bluetooth cell phone

serpico
04-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking for a cell phone that I can use with my HP4155 to connect and check email. I'm going on a trip soon and not sure about wifi access and would use the cell as a backup modem. Bluetooth seems the easiest way without cables. What brands should I look at that anyone has some experience in compatibility? I'm worried that I buy something online and it doesn't work. I'm new to this whole wireless access thing? Thanks.

emmfan
04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
It depends on your wireless service provider and which bluetooth phones they provide. With Verizon (what I'm using), you only have one choice and that is the Motorola V710. Once you have the bluetooth phone, you need to find out what the dial and login settings are depending on your provider.

serpico
04-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. Good suggestion, it's a better and safer option. I emailed my provider and they recommended the Sony Ericsson Z600 and P910i and also told me they would provide the data settings required to connect. Of course, the P910i is already a fully functional smartphone running some other OS, but then I wouldn't require a PDA. I'm not ready to give up my HP4155 just yet. It's a powerful tool to carry along, so I'm going to research wifi access points in the city I'm going to visit. I believe wifi is quicker than the GPRS network using a cell phone as a modem.

jpf
04-19-2005, 01:48 AM
I have a SE T610 with cingular and have 'mediaworks' package that costs $20 a month.
It wasn't straightforward connecting as cingular didn't tell me how but after a little bit of looking around the net to find the connection strings I got the ipaq to connect through the phone.
I also purchased connect2Internetpro which does a good job of taking the pain out of creating the connection. It's overpriced in my opinion but does provide some useful tools if you're going to do a lot of comms through BT.
You can save yourself some money by studious searching for the info. I can't remember it right now I'm afraid.

serpico
04-19-2005, 03:35 AM
I was reading on my providers website and it looks like I need to pay extra for data transmission. I think for the rare times I'm going to need this, may not be worth the extra monthly cost. I might have better luck with wifi access points research. My carrier said only a couple of phones (as posted in my previous post) are compatible. The t610 was not guaranteed to work with their service. So I'm not sure if I want to risk cost for this then. I don't want to sell my HP4155 for a Smartphone, but it looks like that's the way things are headed in the future. I know I need an all in one device, but after investing in the HP4155, I think I'll wait until North American cell phones become better like the rest of the world. I checked my carriers website, and other websites, and honestly no phone really grabs my attention to give me that I need it emotion. Am I alone in this? Or am I one of the few who don't appreciate what carriers are offering at the entry and mid level of cell phones. Hmm.

jimski
04-19-2005, 06:34 AM
I don't know. My Motorola V551 from Cingular is compact and easy to use. I access data services every day with my iPAQ 4705. Sure there is a fee attached, but you are going to find out that WiFi is not very free.

I am a devoted two device guy (small phone and powerful PPC) so don't want to shed any bias here, but finding a practical cell phone with Bluetooth built-in is not that hard to do these days.

serpico
04-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Sounds like you have a good setup there. Do you take your cell phone out of your pocket when connecting with your pocketpc, or does it find it in your pocket? I know it doesn't work like Infrared did.

Don't Panic!
04-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Sounds like you have a good setup there. Do you take your cell phone out of your pocket when connecting with your pocketpc, or does it find it in your pocket? I know it doesn't work like Infrared did.Bluetooth connections will work with your phone in your pocket in the closet across the room as long as the phone itself is already on. 8)

hp2200
04-22-2005, 10:23 AM
yes but actually connecting your ppc to the net via your phone is like pulling teeth. its incredibly difficult!!

egardner
04-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Bot a Ambicom Bluetooth Card and managed to connect my ipaq 3835 to the phone without a huge amount of trouble. (Granted I already went through the pain of wifi setup, which prepares you for this)

:D

babykaye
06-21-2005, 03:16 AM
I don't know. My Motorola V551 from Cingular is compact and easy to use. I access data services every day with my iPAQ 4705. Sure there is a fee attached, but you are going to find out that WiFi is not very free.

I am a devoted two device guy (small phone and powerful PPC) so don't want to shed any bias here, but finding a practical cell phone with Bluetooth built-in is not that hard to do these days.

Hi Jimski,

Can you tell me how you configure your V551 to your pocket pc. I've been searching online and cant get any answer. I have a V551 and an RX3715. Can you help me ? PLEASE :)