View Full Version : Travelling question, software, maps?

serpico
04-17-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi guys, my wife and I are taking a trip next month to Toronto and we are not familiar with the city. I saw Streets & Trips on Microsoft's website and it includes a PocketPC version too. It costs about $49 CDN.

Do you recommend this software and how does it work on the PocketPC without a GPS unit? I have the iPaq 4155 and I'm not sure if a GPS device is really a requirement. I am not familiar with this and would love to use my PocketPC on my trip to assist us getting to our locations. What do you guys recommend for my PocketPC model?

Thanks guys.

Lex
04-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I'll recommend 'Mapopolis' to you. www.mapopolis.com. You may wish to join and browse the GPS Passion Forum too: www.gpspassion.com.

Deemo
04-17-2005, 04:45 PM
I don't see how that is going to help as he doesn't seem to want or need GPS.
I would recommend Streets & Trips 2005 and you may be able to find it cheaper than that now.
It comes with Pocket Streets which is great on the PPC without GPS but does have GPS capability.
The best features for traveling is showing the restaurants and stores for the city you are in.
You may want to load the Toronto map on a SD or CF card as the file is likely quite large.
Have fun!

Lex
04-17-2005, 06:34 PM
It's going to help because Mapopolis doesn't require GPS. The recommended Forum might just be of interest not only because a lot of people there use Mapopolis but if he's considering GPS, that's a good place to learn. I also seem to remember Streets and Trips has some faults Mapopolis doesn't have. It may be that it doesn't do turn by turn route planning but I've forgotten. Cheap may be the operative word if it's missing key features.

Steven Cedrone
04-17-2005, 08:57 PM
If you plan on using the mass transit system in Toronto, make sure you grab yourself a copy of Metro! (http://nanika.net/Metro/)

Steve

serpico
04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks to all of you for the helpful advice. I did click the forum link but got an error in French not English. Not sure if the link is wrong. GPS would be nice, but I'm expecting that it will be a costly investment to add to my pocketpc model. I know there is a Streets & Trips package that includes a GPS device but uses USB, for example on a notebook. So pocketpc users can't use that obviously. My best bet looks like adding the maps to my sdcard and viewing them on my device to help me find locations. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks again.