View Full Version : Where can I find a review for n50?

Patrick Y.
04-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Recently, Acer n50 Premium was officially released in Taiwan. I found it to be a quite attractive device. (It has PXA272 520mhz processor, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, CF/MMC/SD/SDIO slots, USB Host, long battery life, etc.) However, I can't find any review about it. I've have been wondering whether it is as reliable as my Acer n10.

airconvent
04-17-2005, 05:00 PM
This is not a real review, just some preliminary views on the N50 from owners. I played one at the shops and man...its light! Amazing that for its size, it has type 2 CF and SD, wifi and BT built in!

The package is quite nice to hold and except that it does not have VGA, its lower price than the Dell certainly gives the latter a run for its money.
With 128MB of RAM and 520 mhz, certainly value for money.

The backshell looks very cool and space age but I do miss a flip cover (like the one on the Jornada). And seems most of the accessories you will ever need are included in the package!

Here are some comments from owners.

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=49522&st=0

Patrick Y.
04-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks. That really provide me a lot information about n50.

This is not a real review, just some preliminary views on the N50 from owners. I played one at the shops and man...its light! Amazing that for its size, it has type 2 CF and SD, wifi and BT built in!

It really sounds like an amazing device. I hope I can see it someday. :wink:

eschelar
05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I checked one out in the shop the other day. I was *IMpressed*. I'm still going to go for the Pocket LOOX for the VGA screen, but if I wasn't so stuck on VGA, I'd go for the n50 over ANY other QVGA device right now.

The only device that is in its class is the HP 2750. That device has 128MB ROM and 128MB RAM. I have read that ROM is actually SLOWER than storage cards, so ROM is basically immaterial for a dual 1gb card user such as myself.

I live in Taiwan, so costs in-store are important to me. My original Acer n10 was 7500NT. The hp 2110 (the closest competitor to my n10, which is still inferior in my opinion) is 9900. The acer n50 is 13000nt (not even in a cheap store). The dell x50v would set me back at least 18000nt. The hp 2750 is 16500. The Fujitsu Pocket LOOX is 20000 and change via expansys Taiwan.

It is extremely important to note that the hp 2750 and the dell x50v DO NOT HAVE USB HOST. This is a SERIOUS shortcoming in those price ranges. USB host shows up on the n50 and the Fujitsu, hence #1 is the loox and #2 is the n50 when considering everything.

airconvent
05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi Eschelar
Could you convert that into US$ so everyone will have a common point of ref? BTW, the N50 cost around US$363 here, the cheapest pda in its class...:-)
I'm thinking since the N50 is made in Taiwan, it should be even more cheaper there.

xie xie!

Patrick Y.
05-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I checked one out in the shop the other day. I was *IMpressed*. I'm still going to go for the Pocket LOOX for the VGA screen, but if I wasn't so stuck on VGA, I'd go for the n50 over ANY other QVGA device right now.

n50 is an absolutely AMAZING device. I just found a review of n50 in Chinese recently. (http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=61&t=72679) Even if you don't understand Chinese, it got lots of good pictures.

The benchmark result of n50 is very impressive for a device with 520mhz processor.......

Spb Benchmark Indices
Spb Benchmark index 1800.37
CPU index 2129.54
File system index 1245.68
Graphics index 4827.59

also, n50's storage card result is extremely fast........

I live in Taiwan, so costs in-store are important to me. My original Acer n10 was 7500NT.

Finally! :D I thought I am the only one who have Acer n10. Though, I bought it for only 6000NT with lots of bonus softwares:P . Now, I wish I can get n50.

It is extremely important to note that the hp 2750 and the dell x50v DO NOT HAVE USB HOST. This is a SERIOUS shortcoming in those price ranges. USB host shows up on the n50 and the Fujitsu, hence #1 is the loox and #2 is the n50 when considering everything.

I totally agree!!!!!!!! USB host is definately a must-have. As for the best VGA device, I prefer a730w to Loox.

Patrick Y.
05-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi Eschelar
Could you convert that into US$ so everyone will have a common point of ref? BTW, the N50 cost around US$363 here, the cheapest pda in its class...:-)
I'm thinking since the N50 is made in Taiwan, it should be even more cheaper there.

xie xie!

I don't think that it is very accurate to compare the price of two countries. In Taiwan, the price can vary greatly according to the vendors. Also, PDA in Taiwan usually comes with LOTS of softwares and accessories. Unlike the market in US, you can choose n50 from TONS of different stores.