View Full Version : Calligrapher slowing down PPC...

SarahMN
04-16-2005, 04:15 AM
I have an Ipaq 5400 and I am wondering if others are finding that it slows down their Pocketpc significantly?

Darius Wey
04-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I've not had any problems with it. Are you running the latest version (i.e. Version 7.5)?

SarahMN
04-17-2005, 04:59 PM
I think it is slowing down my machine because of a conflict. I had to hard reset my machine yesterday because of a hangup on soft reset when loading Calligrapher. Anyone know of any conflicts with other programs?

Darius Wey
04-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Do you recall any programs you had installed that may have caused this conflict? Probably something worth looking at is any other SIPs you had on the device.

SarahMN
04-17-2005, 06:10 PM
I thought Wisbar might be the problem, but maybe the PHM Power Toys is the problem.

radish28
04-18-2005, 12:54 AM
wisbar and calligrapher 7.5 work seamlessly for me.

Phillip Dyson
04-18-2005, 01:14 AM
I do encounter situations where Calligrapher will not even start up. But I'm not sure what it may be conflicting with.

SarahMN
04-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Here are my ideas for conflicting programs - RegKing, PocketBreeze, PHM PowerToys.

I think Calligrapher would be really helpful but after installing it my PPC is very unstable for some unknown reason.

Darius Wey
04-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Here are my ideas for conflicting programs - RegKing, PocketBreeze, PHM PowerToys.

I think Calligrapher would be really helpful but after installing it my PPC is very unstable for some unknown reason.

It's hard to say. PocketBreeze is probably one of the least likely culprits. I've used that and Calligrapher plenty of times before and experienced no lags (but then again, we can't rule out device-specific problems either). It could be PHM PowerToys, but then again, it's hard to see that as the problem unless we sit down and look through everything that's on the device.

One other option you may want to check is the anti-aliasing option within Calligrapher. Ensure that's off if you're experiencing performance issues.

You may also want to check if you have any buggy programs installed causing a memory leak.

SarahMN
04-18-2005, 02:56 AM
I have a new theory.. I believe that Pocket Hack Master and Calligrapher are conflicting. Anyone running these together with success?

ChristopherTD
04-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Does it slow the system down when you are using it, or always?

I have Calligrapher installed on my iMate Jam, but rarely use it. However someone else mentioned it as a source of conflict (without being specific unfortunately).

I don't experience slow down in general use but a soft reset is very slow.

I use SPB Pocket Plus 2.5 and Pocket Breeze as my only Today Plugins.

ctitanic
04-19-2005, 06:46 PM
From a point of view of memory wise, Calligrapher is sharing 64kb of memory with all Todays pluggins. if you have many todays plugins or heavy ones installed that could affect calligrapher´s performance.

dlangton
04-21-2005, 05:29 AM
Isn't it also sharing the same memory resources with items such as SIP's and hardware drivers? although Today screen plug-ins are probably the worst.

hoffman
04-21-2005, 04:51 PM
I know for sure Calligrapher and pocket earth conflict.
I always close Calligrapher before using Pocket Earth.
Regards Brian

SarahMN
04-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Calligrapher crashes about half the time in Pocket Informant 2005 for me.

caubeck
04-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I've never experienced a crash on my iPAQ 1935, but I find calligrapher does weird things when I use it with TextMaker (inexplicable jagged lines, mainly). I have version 7.5. No unusual slowness to report, and I have a lot of software installed.

PocketPC Addict
06-03-2005, 07:50 PM
From a point of view of memory wise, Calligrapher is sharing 64kb of memory with all Todays pluggins. if you have many todays plugins or heavy ones installed that could affect calligrapher´s performance.

Good point. I just started having significant Calligrapher slowdowns after I upgraded my weather plug in. I sure hope I don't have to make a choice of what to disable!