View Full Version : Does Windows CE support J2ME ?

vickyhere
04-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi

Does windows CE support J2ME, if yes how can we install J2ME and load the J2ME application on Pocket PC.

Please Reply :(

Thanks
Vicky

edited by moderator JD: subject lines to not support bbCode

Jason Dunn
04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
A quick Google search turned up this page:

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/fittond/ppcjava.html

Does that help?

vickyhere
04-15-2005, 06:25 AM
I'm not able to get exactly will Pocket PC support J2ME or not ? :(

paulzazzarino
04-15-2005, 06:35 PM
You can run Java programs on a JRE which has been developed to run on a CE device. An example of this is the Jeode runtime environment which
runs on Ipaqs. I actually deployed an RMI client server app from Ipaqs
to XP boxes to prove the feasibility. But...

Since the vendor picks the classes/methods/byte codes etc.etc to which they will provide it is always fuzzy as to what flavor of Java they support, some may claim J2ME, some claim a basic set of Java. There was even Sun's own depreciated Personal Java which would run applets on CE devices.

With the birth of C# and the .NET Compact Framework I would recommend that path of development. As Moores Law continues in the "mobile" arena this would prove the most viable. .NET CF is a subset
of the full blown .NET Framework. Each release of .NET CF adds more f(X)
and 3rd parties like OpenNet CF (http://www.opennetcf.org) keep adding
things for free which are not there!

The are also ways to integrate Java and .NET Framework code. Another reason in which you could utilize C# on the mobile device.

The only other reason I could see wanting to run Java on CE devices is because code optimizations which the STRONGARM aliance makes, i.e. running Java bytecode right on the CPU of the processor, which I believe you can do almost the equilavent by running NGEN utility on compiled C# code. If you have some legacy J2ME apps take the .NET CF plunge and port it. (Resistance is futile, your apps will be happier in the long run too)