View Full Version : Need some setup help

fish1856
04-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Ok, so i finally got around to getting wireless on my iPAQ. I'm trying to get the pocket inbox to start getting email from my gmail account. But the configuration is a little different than what i'm used to. Can anyone either tell me how to set it up or where i can find out how?

Jeff Rutledge
04-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Log into GMail, then click the Settings link (one of the top row). Then, under the Mail Settings click Forwarding and POP. From this screen, make sure you Enable POP mail, then click the Configuration instructions link. This will tell you how to configure different mail applications. I used "Other" to configure my Pocket Inbox settings.

fish1856
04-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok, so i tried to set it up. It looks like it goes through all the steps correctly, but just before disconnecting i get
"Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure account settings are accurate etc" I've got SSL turned on, i've got passwords entered correctly, what am i missing?

Jeff Rutledge
04-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Hmmm...let me check my device and I'll post my Pocket Inbox settings.

Jeff Rutledge
04-15-2005, 02:35 AM
OK, here are my settings screen by screen:

1. Email address: <username>@gmail.com
2. Your Name: <Full Name>
User name: <username>@gmail.com
Password: <password>
3. Account type: POP3
Name: <whatever-you-want>
4. Incoming mail: pop.gmail.com
Outgoing mail: smtp.gmail.com
Domain: <blank>

--click Options--

1. Connection: <this depends on your network settings, but it usually The Internet>
2. Only display messages from the last _ days: <up to you>
Require SSL connection: <unchecked>
Outgoing mail requires authentication: <checked>
Use separate settings: <unchecked>
Outgoing settings button: <should be greyed out>
3. Get message headers, etc.: <up to you>

Those are the screens as I edit my existing setup; creating a new account may look slightly different.

Hopefully that does it for you.

fish1856
04-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Ah some signifcant differences. I'll try them out. I think it was the SSL that was messing the whole thing up.