View Full Version : Adobe Reader for PPC 2.0

scoobie
04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Dear Forum,

I am using an iPaq 4700 and installed Adobe Reader 2.0 for PPC.
I would have some problems using the software. Hope to get some help from this Forum.

1. Using the default ClearVue, I can view pdf's with high clarifty. Why is it that using Adobe Reader 2.0 for PPC, I get very pixelated view? Should'nt Adobe the original software be better? How can I adjust the sharpness? I tried zooming but its not useful nor effective to get a sharp view.

2. When scrolling in document with the Adobe, I sometimes go into a context where the menu bar is no longer visible. I could not close the document. For example, I tried the default 'find' function in Adobe and found a text but somehow I got into a situation where the screen covers the menu like when using 'full screen' feature. I tried going back to the previous screen but no use. The menu is no longer visible. How can I use ctrl-f to launch the find function again without able to see the menu? Its such a disasterous experience using the Adobe Reader on iPaq. ClearVue is much better but has no 'find' feature.

3. The Adobe 'find' I used was the basic one. I tried activating the other 'find' function in the settings of Adobe but the check box could not be checked for this and a few other function boxes. Is it suppose to be like that for Adobe Reader 2.0 for PPC? Does it mean I have to pay to get the function? Please could you kindly advice me. Thanks in advance.

I urgently need to use Adobe Reader on my iPaq. I hope to hear from advice soon.

regards,
Scoobie

yankeejeep
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Because you are running Reader on a VGA display, you need to apply the famous hi-res aware hack. By far the easiest way to do this is to use Tweaks2k2 and apply the VGA Brute Force hack to the Reader executable. This should take care of the display-related issues of jagged text and toolbar visibility. Reader is a free app, so there is no purchase version with more features. I think you are experiencing another issue related to the fact it is not VGA-aware and that is that it is not always interpretting your screen taps correctly. Applying the hi-res hack should also solve this issue for you.

The versions of the ClearVue apps that have been released for WM2003SE are VGA-aware, so they use a VGA display properly.

palur
04-14-2005, 03:10 PM
The best way to read pdf files on ppc that I found is REPLIGO. It can convert any document including pdf and read it very well on ppc. This is the best document reading software.
Try it

Sven Johannsen
04-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Not sure whether the VGA issue is your problem or not, but a couple of points. Adobe's reader, normally has the option of reflowing text, i.e. re-organizing it so that it fits within the width of the screen, which Clearvue does not. Clear Vue is a full page rendered, and you will either zoom out so far you can't read it, or in close enough to read but require at least some side to side scrolling.

The tool selection menus you refer to being grayed out relate to those tools you wish to have on the tool bar at the bottom I think. There is a limit to how many you can have at one time. It's the same find though.

I'd have to second the suggestion for Repligo, though to create Repligo documents you need to buy the program. The reader, like Adobe's, is free.

yankeejeep
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
The limitation with Repligo is that you need your desktop available to carry out the conversion. For those of us who need on-device solutions to handle docs received on the road, Repligo isn't going to do it. If you're usually transferring files from your desk to your device, though, it is definitely one to consider even with the cost for the software.

scoobie
04-15-2005, 01:42 AM
Dears,

Thanks for your valued advice. Thats very nice of you.

Just like to confirm, being still kind of new, that I can choose not to install completely PPC softwares on my desktop and instead only install them on my iPaq via ActiveSync. At 1st, I thought the installation was going to install on the wrong location, my desktop, and cancelled it halfway. Then when I goto ActiveSync->Tools->Add/Remove, I found the item and chose it and installed it successfully. I hope this does not affect anything.

While paging down the Adobe Reader, I sometimes get an error message like the document format is not suitable or something. Is that because I had not tagged it? I found that I can faster transfer my pdf's to the SD card by not having to convert it. I also basically have no problem viewing untagged pdf's on my iPaq since I can zoom it to adjust the view. Can the error be prevented? At first use of Adobe 2.0 for PPC, I got the message something like this software is meant for a different PPC OS version. But I was sure I installed Adobe 2.0 for PPC which is for Windows Mobile 2003 Update 2 & my iPaq 4700 runs on the same OS.

The next question I would like to get advice is, can a 2mega pixel image be clear enough for VGA? Any recommended software to enhance the 2megapixel image for sharpness? I thought it should be better than a phone camera which is only at best 1.3megapixel. Has anyone tried viewing a 1.3megapixel image on VGA iPaq and was it clear/sharp enough? If so, I would use a 2megapixel image.

I am looking forward to your replies.

best regards,
Scoobie

Sven Johannsen
04-15-2005, 05:13 AM
For the first part...The typical install process for PPC applications is to run a PC executable, usually called Install, or something similar. That initially unpacks the program files to a location on the PC. This step enters the program in Add/Remove Programs in AS and then launches AS Add/Remove. That's about when you get the option of choosing where to install. If the PPC isn't attached at this time you would get a notice that this will be installed the next time you connect.

Once you select the location to install, a .cab file is copied to your PPC, and then executed on the PPC. This is what actually does the install, and once completed, the .cab file is deleted from your PPC.

So, once fully installed, you still have the requisite install files on your PC, and th program installed on your PPC. In AS Add/Remove programs you can have a program title that looks one of three ways. Checked, which means the program install files are on your PC and the program is installed on your PPC. Not Checked, which means the program install files are on your PC, but the program is not installed on the connected PPC. Finally the program name can be grayed out, which means the program is installed on the connected PPC, but the install files are not available on this PC. That means you installed it from some other machine or from a direct .cab install that you loaded by other than the normal process.

You're installing by checking the box in AS ADD/Remove programs should have worked just fine. That is the normal method to rebuilding a PPC that you have had to hard reset (other than a full restore). You just check the programs in Add/Remove you want back on the PPC.

The message you got about it being for another, or older, OS is because Adobe reader 2.0 is not WM2003SE aware, in that it doesn't support rotation. Actually Adobe always had the ability to go landscape built in, and that still works fine. You can also use the SE ability to go landscape and then start Adobe and that works fine. What is a bit flaky is changing the aspect using the OS rotation function while Adobe is running. Keep in mind the X button does not actually close Adobe, it just backgrounds it. So if you open Adobe, hit the X, rotate the screen to landscape, and 're-start' Adobe, you actually rotated while Adobe was still running.

I don't think not tagging a pdf should cause you any issues, but doing so certainly makes your life easier when viewing the pdf. It is worth the time it takes IMHO.

I'll let others take the picture question. I'm pretty forgiving and find most everything looks acceptable. I take my photos down to 320x240 to save space, even for my X50. Pictures of the cats, grandkid and wife look just fine to me. Others seem to want to use their PPC as a professional photographer's portfolio and complain.

scoobie
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Dear Sven,
I truely appreciate your helpful reply. Thanks.

I need to take images of publications with text much like font 12. If I set my digital camera to take 320x480 resolution picture, the image will be smaller. For iPaq, that should not be a problem i guess since it is small screen. But will that increase the sharpness of image? Will using black and white colors increase the sharpness?

Sorry about this seemingly unrelated question (to iPaq). But I will be using it to do view these images. I am trying to find out before making a purchase of the camera. The shops here are not friendly to allow testing or give good advice.

Could you suggest any freeware on PPC to increase image focus / sharpen the image / render a sharper image? I really need advice from experts here as I am need to fix this problem asap.

Hoping to get some tips on viewing images on iPaq. Its VGA is very impressive but not sure if it'll help viewing images taken at low resolutions like 2mega.

kind regards,
Scoobie

scoobie
04-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Because you are running Reader on a VGA display, you need to apply the famous hi-res aware hack. By far the easiest way to do this is to use Tweaks2k2 and apply the VGA Brute Force hack to the Reader executable. This should take care of the display-related issues of jagged text and toolbar visibility. Reader is a free app, so there is no purchase version with more features. I think you are experiencing another issue related to the fact it is not VGA-aware and that is that it is not always interpretting your screen taps correctly. Applying the hi-res hack should also solve this issue for you.

The versions of the ClearVue apps that have been released for WM2003SE are VGA-aware, so they use a VGA display properly.

Dear yankeejeep,

Please advice which option I should use. Is it :
75-Double Pixeling deactivation for individual programs in VGA Devices. ?

I found a file for HI_RES hack. But where is the location for this file? How do I put the file to this location? Please help. I could not find Acrobat reader .exe after I replace the battery. Is it uninstalled whenever I remove the battery? I wanted to prevent battery leak and prevent wastage of power by removing the battery after use. Is this advisable?

After putting the file in the Acro32.exe location, how to I restart the OS? Must I restart? Is it done by soft reset?

Another I found is this :
SE_VGA (DEMO - for English ROM) 1.01
by HAL9000 | Support
Freeware
Summary: Enable "real VGA" on WM2003SE VGA devices.
Requirements: Pocket PC with VGA display running WM2003SE.
Downloads: 41,465

Does it also address the same pixel problem I have? If so, I would rather install this since its freeware and I only need to fix this problem, not all the other hacks.

& is it safe? How do I install it and undo the setting if needed? Is it free for use for at least 1 week?

Please advice soonest possible. TIA.

Scoobie.