View Full Version : SX66 Gmail setup and automatic disconnect from GPRS?

t_wesson
04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey guys, I just got the SX66 on Cingular and it's great but I haven't been able to successfully setup Gmail for POP access on it. Gmail's site doesn't have any info on Pocket PC setup and I haven't found anything else on the net yet. I want to set up Gmail and Yahoo for POP3 access and use Gmail as my primary outgoing e-mail client.

I'd also like to have it check for mail about once every two hours or so but I need it to disconnect from GPRS when that's done. I seem to remember someone on here posting a link to a site that has a program to help with that but I haven't been able to find it again.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
~Travis

Jason Dunn
04-13-2005, 02:40 PM
I've never set up Gmail on a Pocket PC, so I can't help you with that, sorry.

I'd also like to have it check for mail about once every two hours or so but I need it to disconnect from GPRS when that's done.

I'm curious, why do you need it to disconnect GPRS?

t_wesson
04-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I think I might have the Gmail settings done up properly now, I'll check soon.
I want it to disconnect from GPRS because it was my understanding that leaving GPRS connected all the time really drains the battery, like having Bluetooth on all the time. If that's not accurate and leaving GPRS connected isn't any different than just having the unit turned on with GSM phone reception then that's great and I can leave it as is.

Jason Dunn
04-13-2005, 04:47 PM
...leaving GPRS connected isn't any different than just having the unit turned on with GSM phone reception then that's great and I can leave it as is.

That would be the truth of the matter. ;-) Leaving GPRS connected when it's not sending/receiving data is the same as having your GSM radio turned on, which you need to have on anyway.

bnycastro
04-14-2005, 05:59 AM
when gprs is on even without getting email or surfing does it still download/upload data, wouldn't this translate to more costs (well for some providers)?

Jason Dunn
04-14-2005, 06:29 AM
when gprs is on even without getting email or surfing does it still download/upload data, wouldn't this translate to more costs (well for some providers)?

It doesn't require any transfer of bits to stay connected - the only transfers will occur if you have a program requesting data.

bnycastro
04-14-2005, 06:33 AM
i see thanks for the info.