View Full Version : Open Your Eyes With Retina

Jon Westfall
04-13-2005, 12:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.eeye.com/html/company/press/PR20050412.html' target='_blank'>http://www.eeye.com/html/company/pr...PR20050412.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"eEyeŽ Digital Security, a leading network security software provider enabling businesses to protect and manage their network infrastructure, today announced the availability of RetinaŽ WiFi, a free network scanning utility that detects the presence of wireless devices located within the network or connected wirelessly to the network. This tool will detect rogue mobile devices and transmitting laptops, and with its advanced reporting capabilities, provide the means for businesses to assess their wireless security posture."</i><br /><br />Long ago someone more wiser than I coined the idea that the fundamental flaw in wireless network security was the lack of a wire. Now with access points in the ludicrously cheap price range, more and more individuals are setting up access points that circumvent normal network security. Unfortunately, one of the best (and most time consuming) techniques to find these security flaws is to track down access points utilizing manually directionally-oriented movement procedures (i.e. Walking around the building(s)) eEye has released a free version of their Retina Wifi scanning tool that may help some of us administrators alleviate worries and track down open holes easier. Happy Hunting.

ctitanic
04-13-2005, 01:12 PM
It´s free, but I hate to give all that information that they are asking just to test a tool. I hate spam and from my experience everytime I give my information I end with an unuseful tool and a ton of spam in my inbox. :evil:

hamishmacdonald
04-13-2005, 01:37 PM
I thought this might be useful as a sniffer, but after going through the sign-up process (and they don't accept Gmail accounts, so there went my spam-deflection tactic), I clicked the icon on my Pocket PC and...

Nothing.

My approach to software these days is "One strike, you're out", so it promptly got uninstalled. (Well, after a soft-reset, because it was running in the background, busily doing nothing useful to me.)

Phillip Dyson
04-13-2005, 01:40 PM
As far as "spam deflection" simply create a forwarder that you give in times like this. Forward to your gmail account. If it ever gets too much, simply get rid of your forwarder.

OSUKid7
04-13-2005, 08:54 PM
At the risk of offending the moderators or eEye, here's (http://www.eEye.com/html/resources/downloads/download.asp?file=RetinaWiFiPoc) a direct link to download the Pocket PC version. I too didn't like entering that much info, or them blocking gmail, so there's the link. Feel free to remove it if needed.

lonesniper
04-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I just downloaded the PPC version and it does produce some strange results when searching for my one AP. It displays multiple AP's with strange symbols after the correct name for my AP. There does not seem to be a help file so I am not to sure how to interpret the results. I do like all the information is provides about the AP and might be a useful tool when Wardriving.

latinware
04-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I almost installed the app, but after reading you people I hesitated to the point that after downloading the app I simply canceled the installation. I rather use Wince, it works fine and so far I have not see a better app than this.

OSUKid7
04-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah doesn't work on my iPAQ hx4705. :( When I try to launch it, it says:
Can not load device driver.
If the wireless configuration utility is running, please shut it down.

latinware
04-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Great! Thanks god I did not installed on my PPC, I got an hx4700... I do hate apps like that, and I can't understand why this companies develop apps that probably they don't even try in their own PPC. Lets wait and see what the reaction will be from eEye Digital Security, lets hope they do read this forum.

Phillip Dyson
04-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Almost sounds life a case of information harvesting.

Publish a non production ready piece of software then see who bites to measure interest.

maybe..

Airscanner
04-14-2005, 05:01 AM
At a previous company I worked for, eEye reneged on a contract we had with them, signed by their COO. After we deliered our part, they decided to pull the plug on their side of the contract. They basically said "Tough. What are you going to do about it?" It's a shame when big companies bully little ones.

But to their credit, it's very tough to make a wifi scanning tool for PPC. A lot of OEMs use nonstandard NDIS wifi cards built in these days (more on this subject has been posted at the ministumbler and wififofum forums).

stullr
04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Not sure of etiquite on this forum so I'll just babble.

I'm the Product Manager for Retina (includes the WiFi scanner). We've already been told about problems with systems that use the TI ACX100 chipset and we'll be working on the fix.

If you've got problems or suggestions with either version of the WiFi scanners and you're not a Retina customer, drop me a line at [email protected]. No guarantee that I'll answer or that a fix will happen quickly--we are a business and do have to release software that people pay for once in a while--but I will look at all. If you're a Retina customer you can still drop me a line, but it would be faster to use the normal eEye support channels.

And I'll talk to marketing about the amount of info required to download--but they are marketing :)

And thanks to everyone who's checked it out.

Doc