View Full Version : real quick question about changing batteries...

zilla31
04-11-2005, 02:01 PM
just ordered a new extended battery for my x50v and have a real quick question - say the battery gets real low and i swap it out for a spare on the road - do i lose everything or if you do it w/i a certain amount of time is it seamless?

allenalb
04-11-2005, 02:45 PM
perfectly seamless.

zilla31
04-11-2005, 02:58 PM
thanks - hate to post such a quick and dirty (and easy) question but was curious... figured it was seamless but wanted to make sure before i try it out :)

Jason Dunn
04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Assuming that your backup battery has a full charge, you should easily have several hours to swap out the battery....so you'll be fine even if you move REALLY slow. :mrgreen:

Menneisyys
04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
just ordered a new extended battery for my x50v and have a real quick question - say the battery gets real low and i swap it out for a spare on the road - do i lose everything or if you do it w/i a certain amount of time is it seamless?

It all depends on the technology of the backup battery your PDA uses. The majority of current PDA's use capacitors instead of the 'traditional' CR-2032 backup batteries that were exclusively used up until 2001 in PDA's. With them, you need to move really fast. For example, my iPAQ 2210, which is also capacitor-based, commits a hard reset if swapping the battery takes more than 30 seconds (yes, half a minute), and the list continues.

Some PDA's may have real rechargeable backup batteries, which would power the RAM for hours. I'm not sure about whether the x50v has a rechargeable battery OR just a capacitor and I don't have time to check it out now (I'm in a hurry home and then to swim). But, if you try to swap batteries as quickly as possible, you won't have problems even with a capacitor-backup PDA.

Sven Johannsen
04-11-2005, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't be as optimistic as Jason. On the Power screen of the X50v under Backup Battery is the note , "If you remove the main battery, the backup battery can last for up to 30 minutes in sleep mode."

I don't particularly like the 'up to 30 min' phrasing. I would prefer to see it last 'at least 10 min" or something like that. In any case, swap away.

Jason Dunn
04-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't be as optimistic as Jason. On the Power screen of the X50v under Backup Battery is the note , "If you remove the main battery, the backup battery can last for up to 30 minutes in sleep mode."

Yeah, I just noticed that today - back in the iPAQ days, even with the internal battery, you could go several hours without problems. 30 minutes isn't all that confidence-building...