View Full Version : USB Host CF adapter - MP3 Player project

CaptRiker
04-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi all.

I have an old e740 gathering dust in a closet and I was wondering if I could put it to some use. I have seen one USB 1.1 Host adapter CF card online and was looking for comments or suggestions on what a good adapter would be to support a USB hard disk. The idea is this:

Mount the 740 in my car with a powered mount (making it look nice of course) then attaching via a USB host adapter a 20GB or so hard disk mounted out of sight in the console of the truck. Then I could use the 740 as an MP3 player in the car with an FM transmitter. Questions to answer though:

- how to power up/down the hard disk safely when leaving the car
- is the FM transmitter going to provide descent quality?

ADBrown
04-09-2005, 06:45 AM
You don't need a CF card. Your e740 is one of the few PPCs that have USB Host built in. All you need is a cable.

surur
04-09-2005, 08:20 AM
...and your fm transmitter will NOT provide sufficient quality, merely adequate quality.

Surur

CaptRiker
04-10-2005, 05:09 PM
OK. I didn't know about the USB host capabilities of the 740. I may not be able to use them though depending upon the mount.

The quality issue is a bigger one because all the music in the world doesn't make a difference if it sounds ****e. So my options have slimmed a bit. I could look into using the CD changer option to connect but that might mean some internal cabling which I'm not outfitted to do myself.

ADBrown
04-10-2005, 08:46 PM
If your car has a tape player, you can get a cable that attaches the tape deck to the headphone jack on the e740. Any spare cable can be tucked into the tape slot.

pgm
04-11-2005, 12:27 AM
i have tried a 'fm transmitter' and didn't like it so i installed a deck into my truck that has 'aux in'.

i just plug a cable into the headphone jack on my e830 and into the deck..

now, i'm waitin for a bluetooth deck so that i can do away with that cable...