View Full Version : HTC

Patrick Y.
04-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Ever since I got interested in Pocket PC, I've been hearing the name HTC over and over. Though, I never truely understand its role with Microsoft. I've visited its official website several times. Also, is it a Taiwanese company?

gibson042
04-08-2005, 05:47 AM
HTC (High Tech Computer) is indeed a Taiwanese company. They design and manufacture PDAs to be branded, marketed, and sold by other companies. HTC is becoming very well known for their PDA Phones. Among their designs are the XDAs and MDAs of all varieties and generations (as well as all devices you've seen that look strikingly similar to those), and if I remember correctly the Treos as well.

The company works with Microsoft to help develop Windows CE and Windows Mobile, although merely as one source of input among many others. Aside from that, their relationship consists of placing a Microsoft operating system on most of their products.

The design from HTC that has most of this community abuzz right now is code-named Universal, and features multiband GSM, 802.11b WiFi, Bluetooth, a QWERTY thumbboard, and a VGA resolution screen (finally!) that can swivel to face either towards or away from the thumbboard. My sig contains more information on it, including a partial list of its pseudonyms.

ADBrown
04-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Besides producing units under contract for HP, Dell, PalmOne, and a dozen other brand names, HTC's original designs are generally considered the best in the business. The iPaq 1900 and 4100 models, the Dell Axim X50 and X50v, the Magician (also known as MDA Compact or i-mate JAM) and several others are all HTC designs. They're usually the most elegant, the most compact, and the best built PocketPCs on the market.

Jason Dunn
04-08-2005, 05:28 PM
In addition to what the others said...

HTC is an ODM
Dell is an OEM

ODM = Original Design Manufacturer. They have the factories that create the actual hardware, usually on spec for an OEM.

OEM = The companies that buy the products from Taiwan then brand it, sell it, and support it.

Hope that helps a little! :mrgreen:

Patrick Y.
04-08-2005, 11:51 PM
You guys are AWSOME. That really helped a lot. There is just one other things that I'm wondering about: Why have I heard nothing about HTC before I got involved in Pocket PC? If it manufactured almost every PDA in the market, why did I heard absolutely nothing about it? Even after I got my Pocket PC, I've never saw the word, HTC, on HP and other companies website. Also, Acer n10, my current Pocket PC, is it manufactured by HTC too? Sorry about the questions, but I'm just toob ignorant and curious.

Pat Logsdon
04-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Why have I heard nothing about HTC before I got involved in Pocket PC?
Because they're an ODM - they don't sell to the public, they sell to OEMs. Thus, no marketing that you would see.

ADBrown
04-09-2005, 03:13 AM
You guys are AWSOME. That really helped a lot. There is just one other things that I'm wondering about: Why have I heard nothing about HTC before I got involved in Pocket PC? If it manufactured almost every PDA in the market, why did I heard absolutely nothing about it? Even after I got my Pocket PC, I've never saw the word, HTC, on HP and other companies website.

As was previously mentioned, HTC doesn't sell to the public, so there's no advertising. HP, Dell, and PalmOne, the main clients of HTC, also don't advertise that their design and production is outsourced because they sell the units as 'theirs'. They contract with HTC to either build units according to designs they supply, or for HTC to design and build a new unit using their own designers. It's the latter that's the most coveted. Other machines that are built by HTC according to client specs are usually well built, but they're not as stylish or as well contoured as a purely HTC design.

It's kind of like hiring an architect to build a house. The architect oversees the design and construction, and is paid for it, but in the end the house belongs to the person who ordered it.

Also, Acer n10, my current Pocket PC, is it manufactured by HTC too?

No. Acer, Toshiba, Mio, Asus, and a few other players design and build their own machines.

Currently manufactured by HTC are the Axims, most of the current crop of iPaqs, and many PocketPC phones that are sold under various carrier brands the world over.

Patrick Y.
04-09-2005, 05:41 AM
I really learned a lot from you guys, thanks.