View Full Version : How much free prog memory

pivaska
04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Using a Dell Axim 50v I now have only 64 megs as opposed to what my Toshiba E800 had...128Megs. I was wondering what the average amount of FREE program memory and FREE storage memory is on everyone elses PDA that has only 64 megs. I can load up a 1 gig CF card and a 1 gig sd card with programs if necessary.

Darius Wey
04-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I think providing an "average amount" won't be of a lot of help. It depends on what programs you install, how many programs you install, where you install it to and so on.

I have programs installed on both my main memory, iPAQ File Store, and SD Card, but if it's of any help, I have roughly 8.5MB of free storage memory left and 12MB of free program memory left (with no programs running in the background).

My suggestion is for non-essential programs, install it to your memory card. For essential programs, today plugins, programs designed to run on startup, and programs you want loading relatively quickly, then installing it to your main memory is probably your best option.

Patrick Y.
04-17-2005, 12:50 AM
For me, I've about 16 MB of program memory and 5 MB of storage memory left on my Acer, which has about 61 MB of usable RAM. It is more than enough to run programs and store documents so far. I've cramped more than 150 programs mainly on my storage card and some on main memory. :twisted: The only problem with too many programs is that I've really hard time keeping track of them. If I forget to charge my Pocket PC or back up my data when the battery is lower than 2%, I'm doomed. :(

Atrius Rex
05-02-2005, 03:04 PM
I've noticed that with the Dell (I've got the x30), even though you close programs with the 'X', they are still active in memory. To get an accurate reading, make sure you go to "running programs" and stop the ones you need to stop before taking your memory readings...

Free memory:

Storage: 18.52
Program: 10.77
256MB SD: 164.13

yankeejeep
05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
The 'X' button to place apps in the background is a WM feature, not just Dell. However, it is one of the first issues addressed by task switch apps and, if all you want is to get real close function on the 'X' button, install Magic Button.

Sven Johannsen
05-02-2005, 08:18 PM
I've noticed that with the Dell (I've got the x30), even though you close programs with the 'X', they are still active in memory. To get an accurate reading, make sure you go to "running programs" and stop the ones you need to stop before taking your memory readings...

Free memory:

Storage: 18.52
Program: 10.77
256MB SD: 164.13

Actually the best way of getting a baseline reading is with a soft reset. Even actually closing all apps from the memory control panel or a task switcher, can leave some trash behind. At that point you have nothing but the OS and what is started automatically. You can even use that to see if some programs tie up memory after they are closed by comparing it to a fresh start unit.

Atomb
05-07-2005, 02:57 AM
not to mention that it's for the better if you use the slider to give you max amount of 'program' memory. you need to keep about 8 or 9 MB of 'storage' memory available or it will re-centre itself...

I've got 8MB storage and 35MB program on my X50mid

My running processes (aside from the expected) are:

vBar
Calendar+
ResInfo
HP printing

Menneisyys
05-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Always try to move and/or hack apps to external storage if possible.

It's easier than you think (even the hacking part). You may want to read http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=3705 and http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=3752 on this.