View Full Version : Airport Personnel Armed With iPAQs

Ed Hansberry
04-05-2005, 07:00 PM
<a href="http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1780911,00.asp">http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1780911,00.asp</a><br /><br /><i>"...state troopers guarding the airport have an extra tool on their belts to secure the facility's perimeter. The officers carry Hewlett-Packard Co.'s iPaq Pocket PC handhelds running Bio-key International Inc.'s PocketCop software over Cingular Wireless LLC's high-speed EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution) network...The software gives the iPaqs real-time access to driver-license data and photographs; vehicle registrations; stolen-vehicle information; arrest warrants; weapon registrations; and local, county, state and federal criminal databases."</i><br /><br />There are a lot of other interesting details in the article. You should check it out if you like reading technical specifics on how Windows Mobile devices are impacting the world around us.

eugarps
04-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Ed,

I wonder which iPAQ? The 6315 seems to be exclusively TMo and the 6500 hasn't been released to the general population quite yet. Could the Mass. Troopers be the testing agency for the 6500 or did I miss something? Could have... I'm old. :wink:

Bill

Jason Lee
04-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Ed,

I wonder which iPAQ? The 6315 seems to be exclusively TMo and the 6500 hasn't been released to the general population quite yet. Could the Mass. Troopers be the testing agency for the 6500 or did I miss something? Could have... I'm old. :wink:

Bill

Cingular has been working with the Massachusetts State Police since 2003, when the force equipped about 20 officers using iPaqs with GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) cards.

GPRS cards. I would assume a CF card. There are several out there. You can even make and get phone calls, provided the ppc is on and the softeware is running. :)
Pretty sucky compaired to a ppcpe though.
:mrgreen:

jimski
04-06-2005, 03:12 AM
So this is the device platform that people are saying is dead? First doctors, then troopers. Who's next, teachers?

Jason Lee
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
So this is the device platform that people are saying is dead? First doctors, then troopers. Who's next, teachers?

hehe... teacher already have them. I work at a university for the college of education. We have several grants out that have purchased classroom sets of pocket pcs and several faculty in the building that use them. We are partnered with many area schools that are also using pocket pcs. They are way cheaper than laptops and there is some really cool software out there for managing the classroom and even for use in the classroom. Teachers use them to hand out papers electronically, students read books on them, teachers keep their roll and grades on them. We have practicing teachers that use them for data collection. We just bought 5 more dells for our student teacher supervisors/evaluators to fill out forms and "sync" the data back to us. They even use the built in camera instead of carrying around a seperate camera now! (ipaq 3700)

Pocket pcs have been in education for quite some time now.

Not to sound vain or anything but most of the stuff we have done here with pocket pc is because of me. And people like all you guys. I am constantly using my ppc at work for everything. When the faculty/staff/administrators ask what i'm doing i'm more than happy to give them a demo. ;) Or when i see some one doing something that would be easier done on a pocket pc i sugest it to them. Also since i am the tech guy i get to advise on all the tech aspects of projects and grants. If a pocket pc fits the bill i am not afraid to sugest it. :) And they are cheaper in many cases and the admins love cheaper. :twisted:

Just doing my part to spread the pocket pc love.

eugarps
04-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Ah, back to the future with an old iPAQ and a PC or CF sleeve and a data card.... :)