View Full Version : CF or SD... Which to get.

BUMP THAT
04-05-2005, 04:26 AM
I am planning on expanding my memory for my iPAQ 4700. I already have 2 512MB SD cards, but I use them for my Zodiac. One has games and the other Media. So I stole the Media one off my Zodiac I am using that for now. I want to get a nice card and fast one too but not spend a fortune. My local Cosco has Sandisk Ultra (The Black Ones) 1GB SD and 1GB CF cards each for 89.99. Is this a good buy or should I try to get a 2GB CF or SD on the web? I looked at Micrrodrives and liked them, but i was told they drain batteries. Is this true? Post any good deals on cards you can find too please.

sylvangale
04-05-2005, 05:28 AM
The world is moving on... PCMCIA > CF > SD> XD > Transflash > and then some.

Usually things come out for CF first, then SD, then XD, and on and on... but since the big uses for CF, WiFi/Bluetooth, are now bundled in a PPC the need for CF is greatly diminished unless you need a barcode scanner, a gigabyte microdrive, or have other devices that use CF.

If you are just going to get a 1GB memory card, get SD and reserve the CF slot for an accessory than you cannot get for SD... such as a GPS, Modem, Ethernet, or SD/XD to CF adapter.

Microdrives do consume more power and can be broken in a drop (being a hard drive). SD can survive drops pretty well, in comparison.

ADBrown
04-05-2005, 07:09 AM
CF isn't going away any time soon, if that's what you're worried about. If you want anything over 1 GB, I recommend CF. The 2 GB cards are far cheaper than their SD equivalents, and you can get 4 GB CF cards which have no equal in SD. If you're looking at a 1 GB card, I would go SD, and save the CF slot for a peripheral or a larger memory card down the line.

Both SD and CF flash cards can survive being dropped, immersed in water, washed, stepped on, nailed to a tree, and a dozen other things. With no moving parts, they're very hardy. Microdrives do eat a lot more power, and are a bit more fragile, but they're cheaper than an equivalent capacity CF flash card.

By the way, just to clear something up, there aren't any peripherals for XD or Transflash, and there aren't likely ever to be. SD and CF are the way things are staying for quite a while.

surur
04-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Im in the market for memory, and have a dual slot device now. However in 6-8 months I plan o have an MDA IV, which is SD only (AFAIK). This means investing in CF would be a waste, as I may have sold by Loox 720 then to fund by MDA IV purchase.

If you planning already for your next purchase you have to take this into account also.

Surur

zilla31
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
in case you're insterested i found a 1gb sd at dell for 78 beans + free shipping:

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p5936

BUMP THAT
04-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanx for the link zilla31. I may just get an SD card.

@ sylvangale I can have a GPS and Ethernet adapter for CF? Where? That sounds kool.

I think 2GB SD is way over priced. But I will get a 1GB.

Thanx for your inputs as ewll.

ADBrown
04-05-2005, 09:42 PM
CF ethernet:

http://www.shopperwiz.com/shopdisplaydetail.asp?id=717160&Ref=FROOGLE&ts=20050404&Key=221008017&L=005

CF GPS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000YKACO/102-0914202-4945761?v=glance

These aren't neccessarily the best, but they're a start.

sylvangale
04-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Here are some other goodies:

GSM CF Card
http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?pf_id=MP950538&dept_id=4440

CF Modem
http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?pf_id=MP585012&dept_id=4401

BUMP THAT
04-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Oh yes very nice goodies. Well I bought the SanDisk 1GB SD card and I am getting ready to transer all my files via...(Drum Roll)...ActiveSync!! So its going to take a while. I will save my CF slot for something special. :)

Ethernet looks nice, not a bad price either. GPS sounds very productive, But i think I would rarely use it. :D

zilla31
04-06-2005, 01:16 PM
wait - that one is for a modem - do we have a reasonably priced ethernet CF card somewhere? i've only seen them for around 100 bucks and that's too steep for me (compared to how often i will need it).

Perk
04-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I suggest getting sd memory and CF accessories. Accessories typically extend beyond the PDA body and are fragile. With sd being slimmer and smaller all around, they're just more fragile. The thicker CF expansion accessories can be sturdier. I accidentally broke one CFGPS card.

The other drawback on sd expansion cards is that they are smaller and easier to loose when not installed.

SD is an awsome memory format and I think, a perfect compliment to BT and CF expansions.

Mike

ADBrown
04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
wait - that one is for a modem - do we have a reasonably priced ethernet CF card somewhere? i've only seen them for around 100 bucks and that's too steep for me (compared to how often i will need it).

Check my first link. CF ethernet for $35.

zilla31
04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
sorry ADBrown i missed your post the first time around - this is exactly what i'm looking for - do you have it and can vouch for it (ethernet)?

thanks!!

Phillip Dyson
04-06-2005, 08:17 PM
I currently use SD cards to extend internal memory. I becomes static storage to install programs and carry data that will always be with me.

My CF cards are swappable memory. Music. Maps. Movies. ebook libraries, etc.

zilla31
04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
that too will be my plan... i got the 1gb SD to extend my internal mem (for apps etc. and stuff i always want available), and i'm going to use the CF (perhaps get a 4gb microdrive or something) for movies, ebooks, pix, etc.

thanks all.

BUMP THAT
04-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Ya, that sounds like a good Idea. Then you can remove the CF to save power. Marv-a-lous, I say, Marv-a-lous.

Phillip Dyson
04-06-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about Microdrives.
If you're listening to music or watching a movie your battery is already being taxed pretty hard. The Microdrive only adds to the burden. Not sure what the ratio is though. Unless you have some portable power source or extended battery.

Don't forget, when you're done, you'll still need to be able to get to your important information throughout the day.

I would suggest solid state. Even it meant getting smaller ones. You could always swap. Just a thought.

zilla31
04-06-2005, 08:55 PM
yeah i'm not 100% decided on CF microdrive or solid state (your reasoning is mine too). generally speaking - will the x50v get through a 2 hour movie off solid state media on one full charge (if i'm on a plane for example)?

Phillip Dyson
04-06-2005, 09:07 PM
I can't give you a definitive on the Dell, but I do know that from what I've read on other posts and sites, the Dell is notorious for its underwhelming battery life.

The batteries are swappable however. Which may be a good idea anyway if you're taking trips with long travel time. You might want to do a dry run at home and see what a movie does to a full charge.

Also, you can probably do a search and find portable charging packs. Not sure what they are actually called.

BUMP THAT
04-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Well I have the EXT BAttery for my 4705. SO that is two batteries for me. 1 standard and 1 EXT. Thats 1800 + 3600 MAH...Do the Math!!

zilla31
04-06-2005, 09:33 PM
i wonder if i should just get an extra battery or invest in one of those socket power things... or something similar... what do you guys think?

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33254&highlight=

Perk
04-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I agree about microdrives. I had one of the 300mb IBMs way back when Compaq included it with a couple of movies. The thing drained my battery really fast and even when I wasn't accessing anything on it.

Moreso, I heard that there are issues related to microdrives and altitude?!

BUMP THAT
04-07-2005, 12:07 AM
i wonder if i should just get an extra battery or invest in one of those socket power things... or something similar... what do you guys think?

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33254&highlight=

That looks nice. Where is a price tag? Seems like it looks pricey to me. :)

zilla31
04-07-2005, 12:17 AM
it's $149. but the extended battery for the x50v is like $100 right? and can't charge my cell, PSP, etc. etc. :) OR charge my x50v over and over...

ADBrown
04-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Those things are overpriced. You can get nearly the same thing, that runs on ordinary C or D batteries, from eBay for mayber $30. Even adding in the cost of the batteries, it's still a third of the price, and you don't need to fiddle with recharging it. And, by the way, you can get the X50v extended battery for $40-$50 if you look on eBay or some online retailers.

ADBrown
04-07-2005, 09:12 AM
sorry ADBrown i missed your post the first time around - this is exactly what i'm looking for - do you have it and can vouch for it (ethernet)?

No, I don't have a CF ethernet card at all, but Trendware is usually a pretty good brand. You can shop around using Froogle to find other options by googling for CompactFlash ethernet.

zilla31
04-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Those things are overpriced. You can get nearly the same thing, that runs on ordinary C or D batteries, from eBay for mayber $30. Even adding in the cost of the batteries, it's still a third of the price, and you don't need to fiddle with recharging it. And, by the way, you can get the X50v extended battery for $40-$50 if you look on eBay or some online retailers.

can you point me towards 40-50? i'd snatch one up in a minute at that price... i can't seem to find better than about 75.

BUMP THAT
04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Ya I would snatch one up too fi I could get one.

ADBrown
04-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Here's the Mugen version of the extended battery for $49. You need to scroll down the page a ways. The eBay price seems to have spiked a bit since the last time I checked, so that's out. You can also sometimes get 15% off your order at AximCases if you're a user of AximSite.com.

http://www.aximcases.com/store/aximx50.html

zilla31
04-07-2005, 07:27 PM
beautiful - 49 is a great price - is this brand battery good to go? i'm about to buy me one of these :)