View Full Version : GPS Navigation Problems

snooper
04-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I programmed the TT to navigate me to Grasmere Cumbria.

When asked to input city I input Grasmere,
When asked to input street I input Church Street.

The TT planned the route and off I set, however I would normally take the M6 to junc 40 however TT took me through Carlisle on to Cockermouth heading for Whitehaven. I realised that I was not on the right route and reprogrammed to take me to Ambleside which was 1 hour in the opposite direction.

Why has this happened and if you input a town why does it always ask for a street, what if you don’t know any streets in the town your visiting as in this instance.

And if there is no church street in Grasmere then why does TT accept this?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Snooper
IPAQ RZ1710
TT Navigator vers 4.4
Belkin TuneCast II
Snooper S4 neo

Dashboard technology

Pat Logsdon
04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
That's a pretty hard question to answer, as all navigations programs are different. There are several factors the software has to take into account when developing a route, including map data (maybe the map you have isn't completely up to date, contains errors, etc.), and routing algorithms. Different programs will give you different routes to the same locations. Most allow some control over this process by allowing you to choose "shortest distance", "surface streets only", or even "fastest route" if the map includes speed limit data.

My recommendation would be to try the same route under different settings and see which one comes closest to your normal route.

Also, most software allows you to search by Points of Interest (POI) - this usually includes places like petrol stations, parks, even municipal buildings like libraries and city government offices. This is a good way of getting a route to a town when you don't have any address or street information.

snooper
04-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Once in Grasmere I hit the navigate home icon and the Tom Tom took me back via the M6 - A69 etc., which is the correct route. Cannot understand why it chose another route to take me to Grasmere. Kind of defeats the object if you have to refer to a paper based map to get reassurance of the GPS system.