View Full Version : WiFi

delluser
04-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi,

Just got my new Dell Axim x50v :D

Can someone tell me how to set up the WiFi? Do I need it on my computer at home to do that? I am so excited that I finally got this but when I try to do what it says in the book it doesn't work. Thanks for any help!

:?

Sven Johannsen
04-02-2005, 04:29 AM
Well, you do need to be in the vacinity of some form of WiFi. That could be a PC or laptop at home that has WiFi capability, or a home WiFi network centered by a WiFi Access Point, or a Wifi Hot Spot.

The first would require you to establish an AdHoc connection, basically a peer-to-peer connection between the big device and the little one. Bit morre involved than I want to get in to here, before finding what you have.

The second is more normal, and should pop up as an option when you turn the WiFi radio on. Getting connected involves having things set up right but the settings aren't much different than what you would have done to get your Home PCs on a home wireless network.

The third is found at airports, hotels, book stores, coffee shops, etc. Some are free and some involve some sort of payment or subscription.

Jorgen
04-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Do I need it on my computer at home to do that?

If you have broadband, most people would buy a wireless router and connect to that with the PDA set to "infrastructure". Set the SSID (note that it is case sensitive!) to the same on both the router and the PDA. Channel does not matter. Disable powersavings mode and WEP encryption for now (until everything works). In Activesync, set File / Connection setting to "Allow Network ...".

In any case you can buy a wireless card for the PC and connect to this with both computer and PDA set to "Ad Hoc". Set both the PDA and the PC card to Ad Hoc, set the same channel on both (any) and same SSID. Disable powersavings mode and WEP encryption for now (until everything works). In Activesync, set File / Connection setting to "Allow Network ...".

This is in short what needs to be done.

Jorgen

G M Fude
04-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Would having some software like Wififofum help? Or is that more of a 'curiousity' app (i.e. "I was just wondering how many hotspots there are in my immediate vicinity")?

Sven Johannsen
04-02-2005, 04:55 PM
That sort of survey software certainly makes finding out what is around you easier. The built in Zero Configuration stuff does display available networks but doesn't aways display the one you want. For the OP, or anyone with an X50v, there is actually such a capability built in. On the WiFi config page, the one with the on/off button, there is a sites tab. That shows the available networks.