View Full Version : Restoring a previous homepage?

ctmagnus
04-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Is there any way, on Windows 2000/XP, to restore the homepage (the page that Internet Explorer or your preferred browser of choice loads at startup) that was set prior to the current homepage on a given machine?

I was doing some housesitting with permission to use the computer so naturally I downloaded and ran Microsoft AntiSpyware. It found ~200 entries. Also, the homepage looked a little skeptical so I assumed that it had been set by one of those 200 items. Turns out, the homeowners set that page on purpose and now they want it back. And of course I can't remember the URL :oops: and I somewhat doubt their ability to as well.

JackTheTripper
04-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Not an expert here so I'm just suggesting. Use the history to find it. Or go to tools > Internet Options, click Settings then click View Files. This is the browser cache. view as a list and sort by date. Go find the date you changed the home page and is should be one of those.

ctmagnus
04-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Too late, I had already purged the cache long before. :(

Also, I set my homepage to something out of the ordinary, surfed a bit and then set it back to my preferrd page, did a registry search for the out of the ordinary page and came up with nothing.

Fortunately, I just spoke with them and they're somewhat OK with having Google as a start page as opposed to the heavily-marketing-oriented page they had before.

Darius Wey
04-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Rough night, eh? ;)

ctmagnus
04-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Sure is, with the extra 54MB in my GMail acct (and I'm sure that will increase as the night goes on). 8)

Mark Kenepp
04-01-2005, 06:10 PM
What is it with some people and their start page? I mean if you can't remember what it was, after seeing it every time you start up your browser, do you really need to go back to it? :idontthinkso:

I guess it is just what you are used to. Some of the staff here asks me to put the start page back to what it was on the old computer when they get a new one, which is odd since it is just the manufacturers website 8O I even have someone who makes me place the icons on here desktop exactly as they were before, even to the point I have to change the Outlook Icon back to the old inbox icon. I even have to put back icons that I know she doesn't use since the have been broken since the last time I set her up a new computer :frusty:

(Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :beer: )

It seems things worked out for you and, you helped educate them to a quality home page :clap:

JackTheTripper
04-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Wow! 8O I guess people really DO hate change.