View Full Version : Darn Young Whippersnappers With Their Tiny Print!

Jon Westfall
03-31-2005, 12:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.southbendtribune.com/stories/2005/03/29/living.20050329-sbt-MICH-D4-Older_Americans_want.sto' target='_blank'>http://www.southbendtribune.com/sto...ricans_want.sto</a><br /><br /></div><i>"You don't have to be old to find it a struggle to read the tiny type on your iPod, PDA or cell phone, but aging doesn't help matters. Yet despite the much-ballyhooed graying of America, tech gadgets seem to be going in a direction that's bound to make the situation worse, with tiny keyboards and dimly lit screens."</i><br /><br />An interesting article here poses many questions about the prevailing view that older Americans are not as interested in technology as younger. While some companies embrace larger print, easy setup instructions, and more, others believe their appeal lies in competitive pricing and innovative features. Our survey today seeks to find an answer among our community on the size of our PPC's fonts. Are they too small, too large, or just right? And if you believe your voting choice might change in 20 years when your eye sight isn't as great as it is today? Drop us a post and let us know!

Darius Wey
03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
My two main computer monitors are set at a resolution of 1920x1440 (standard) and 1920x1200 (widescreen). I'm a glutton for high resolutions, which also makes me a glutton for small fonts (and no, I refuse to increase the DPI settings).

So I think little thought is required on my feelings for Windows Mobile font sizes. Guess which one I voted? ;)

MitchellO
03-31-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a XDA II Mini, which has the standard 240x320 res, but on a 2.8" screen. The fonts are perfectly readable, and could go slightly lower. I have it set on the standard setting, not the oneup default.

I would love a VGA screen, and would probably run it in true vga with a hack about 95% of the time. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a 15.4" 1680x1050 display, which has small but perfectly readable fonts. I wish I had gone for the 1920x1200!!!!

farnold
03-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Good question and I'm amongst the few who would enjoy a bit larger font size... Yep, it has changed over the last couple of years and I don't deny that age is the reason behind it. Years ago I never had any problems with the tiny letters you find in so many computer magazines - now I just don't read the small parts anymore because I find it too annoying... THE BIG 5... :roll:

Kowalski
03-31-2005, 02:24 PM
i have 3 monitors and very funny resolutions:
12" laptop with xga
17" desktop again with xga
21" desktop with 1600x1200 resolution

i have an alergy to small fonts but i realy like the print on my laptop, maybe because of clear font and lcd screen

Ken Mattern
03-31-2005, 02:31 PM
What I really hate are the grey text printed on grey backgrounds in tiny print. That has be be done to discourage you from reading the damn stuff!

maximus
03-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I want to see as much as possible on my screen, so yes, the fontsize on today's pocket PCs are just fine with me.

But of course that might change 20-30 years from now =)

Silver5
03-31-2005, 04:00 PM
I would like to have the font size more configurable than they currently are. I am fortunate to have very good vision and greatly benefit from the smallest fonts that most screens can handle. My Toshiba E805 was perfect when running MyVGA in real VGA format and I wish I could have a PPC phone like that. My Treo 650 can also be used alot like this and this works perfectly for me. Heck, my laptop has a 15.4" screen with 1920x1200 resolution and sometimes I wouldn't mind it being just a little better...but in 10-20 years I admit, I might not feel the same way. There should be more options for configuring these devices for each user since we are not all the same!

capo
03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
... and small print is starting to be a problem. Not yet with any of my computer displays (then again, I think they're all 1024x768). No problem with my PPC font either - I use a slightly-smaller than standard on Pocket Breeze and can read it fine. I think it's a function of brightness - reading the display on my iPod and Dell DJ is sometimes a struggle in low light.

JD Silver
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
I enjoy the smaller fonts on my QVGA PocketPC. I am 50, and wear bifocals, and the glasses must be a good fit because reading small print feels very natural. Even cruising the web on Thunderhawk with my CDMA data account, is quite comfortable, although people around me have commented on the small size of the fonts.

I'm happy. If I ever move up to VGA (on a converged device) then I'll want the ability to scale to a true VGA, rather than havinga cleaner display.

yawanag
03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Good question and I'm amongst the few who would enjoy a bit larger font size... Yep, it has changed over the last couple of years and I don't deny that age is the reason behind it. Years ago I never had any problems with the tiny letters you find in so many computer magazines - now I just don't read the small parts anymore because I find it too annoying... THE BIG 5... :roll:

I enjoy playing RPG games, but many times after installing the trial, I end up deleting it because it isn't enjoyable because of the small print...THE BIG 7...

buzzard
03-31-2005, 08:54 PM
I prefer small font ....upgraded the contact lenses to include bi-focal and I never use glasses with the PPC

hoodmeister
03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
HRrrrrmmmm.... An interesting one, this. I use an X50v, and find the fonts a little large....

I also use OzVGA when web browsing.

That said, I like the ability to change font sizes... When i'm tired, I like bigger fonts.... I have horrendous eyesight, and use both contacts &amp; Glasses pretty equally - but again, if i've been wearing my contacts a while, I prefer larger fonts.

I'm likely, I guess, to prefer larger fonts as I get older - as I said, my eyesight is terrible now - and i'm 16 8O.

But yeah, no.1 for me is the choice ;)

disconnected
03-31-2005, 09:41 PM
My eyesight is definitely worse than it used to be; one reason I like my 4700 is the larger screen (and the fact that the print looks so much sharper with VGA).

I use the tweaks2k2 brute force hack with ereader (old version), and MSReader, but I still select a fairly large font size -- reading on the PPC is actually more comfortable for me now than a lot of hardcopy sources. Unfortunately I can't use Mobipocket at all now because the print is too blurry without the hack, and too small at the largest setting with the hack.

ctmagnus
03-31-2005, 09:41 PM
When it comes to font size, regardless of device, I'll change it every once in a while and end up going back to the default. Too small font means too much info presented at once and too big font means extra scrolling to take in the same amount of information.

Lex
03-31-2005, 10:30 PM
1) Websites are worse offenders than our customizeable PPCs.
2) Thank God for lineless TRI-focals.
3) I'm so old it's spelled 'olde'.
:roll:

MikeUnwired
04-01-2005, 01:18 AM
I was added to the bi-focal club this February -- just shy of my 43rd birthday. I can read the "standard" fonts just fine on a QVGA screen, but when I force my hx4700 into VGA, I have to work hard to read most things. The crispness of the VGA-capable screen on the hx4700 does help in all cases.

DuaneAA
04-01-2005, 04:04 AM
I am 47, second pair of progressives (PC for bifocals!) and I have complained to Jason several times about the tiny fonts they use on this site with my 1600x1200 21" monitor. But I have finally found the solution. Switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox. With firefox you can resize the fonts on almost any site by hitting 'control +' or 'control -' a few times. An incredible improvement over Internet Explorer.

I mostly use my pocketPC to read books. I upgraded to the Axim X50v about six months ago and the improved screen makes smaller fonts much easier to read. I typically find I use 12 pt fonts on my pocketPC but 14 pt on my PC.

Duane

Mark Johnson
04-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I like the ability to change font sizes...

This really is the issue. I've got an x50v and I love the VGA resolution. What is sad is that MS hasn't provided better sizing OPTIONS, regardless of whatever default is "ideal." I for one couldn't care less what the "out of the box" font settings are. If they want to make them 14-point to ensure they don't lose sales, that's fine with me. What I find really annoying is that in Pocket Excel, I've set ALL my (many) spreadsheets to 6-point font (which I find very readable) but there is no option to display that much text in Pocket Word.

This really is a two-part problem. There is the issue of how to "optimally size" (no such thing) or "optionally resize" the interface as a whole. (Big challenge.) The MUCH smaller problem is simply to enable smaller (and larger) font sizes in current apps (like Pocket Word.) I see little chance that MS will take action soon on the "interface sizing" problem when they have (for YEARS now) just "not gotten around to" making a 7-point or 6-point font option in Pocket Word.

We should ALL be ABLE to drop-down and choose a one font so large and one so small that we would think: "No one would EVER want to use that!" They just are not giving us enough choices (except in Excel which is kinda wierd really...)