View Full Version : orb multimedia streaming service is now FREE TO ALL

jcsickz
03-30-2005, 12:28 AM
this is huge. they were supposed to be charging $9.95 a month after the free trial, and now they changed their minds and are going to make it free! check out this link:

http://orb.com/aboutUs/press,50

this is great news, although I would have gladly paid $10 a month for this awesome service

if you don't know what orb is, it lets you stream live tv, music, videos, and photos to your pocket pc. It also lets you record and watch shows from your pocket pc as well. Think of it as TiVo for your pocket pc!!!

JPD6825
03-30-2005, 04:57 AM
There's an old saying... If it sounds too good to be true - it usually isn't true. This sounds incredible! Does anyone have any real experience with this yet?

jcsickz
03-30-2005, 06:52 AM
this is the most incredible piece of software I have EVER gotten my grubby little hands on. I give it my HIGHEST reccommendations. Lets see, for example, what I did with it this week.

1. Watched the hornets game while shopping at wal-mart
2. streamed mp3s from my pc while at the gym
3. watched a recording of the new episode of the simpsons on my commute home from school while driving. (watched it monday, recorded it with orb on sunday)
4. set it to record certain shows on a weekly basis instead of having to set them individually

hope that gives you an idea of what this bad boy is capable of. I don't know what else to say other than this is the real deal.

Darius Wey
03-30-2005, 09:26 AM
jcsickz, next time you should submit these things as news. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/submit.php) But don't worry, someone else already did and the post should be on the front page soon.

All in all, this free service should really open doors for Orb. :)

jcsickz
03-30-2005, 11:18 AM
damn, no fair. Can I get some props on the front page for the story too?

Darius Wey
03-30-2005, 11:50 AM
damn, no fair. Can I get some props on the front page for the story too?

If you're after that, this link (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/submit.php) is worth bookmarking. There will be plenty of opportunities in the future. :D

almoore
04-03-2005, 06:00 AM
I tried orb, and I'm not totally happy with it. There are a few things I don't like about the current state of the orb program.

First, you can only use a tv tuner card that orb supports. Orb only supports a few of the cards that have built-in hardware to decode the signal. Most of us don't use those expensive cards. Some of those cards are like $250.

Second, the orb program puts a huge demand on your system. Unless you have a dedicated system for media, it will get annoying. After I started streaming a video, my CPU usage went up to 100% and stayed there even after I stopped streaming the video. It's unhealthy for your pc to run at 100% all the time. It could fry your chip if you don't have good cooling.

Don't get me wrong. Orb looks great, but for now I won't be using it.

jcsickz
04-04-2005, 08:46 PM
First, you can only use a tv tuner card that orb supports. Orb only supports a few of the cards that have built-in hardware to decode the signal. Most of us don't use those expensive cards. Some of those cards are like $250.

Second, the orb program puts a huge demand on your system. Unless you have a dedicated system for media, it will get annoying. After I started streaming a video, my CPU usage went up to 100% and stayed there even after I stopped streaming the video. It's unhealthy for your pc to run at 100% all the time. It could fry your chip if you don't have good cooling.

Don't get me wrong. Orb looks great, but for now I won't be using it.

looks like you didn't do much research here. I got one of the supported cards for $99 at compusa.

Also, I multitask all the time on my P4 1.9 with only 256 mb of ram with orb running and have never gotten close to 100%

OneAngryDwarf
04-07-2005, 09:01 AM
I too don't have these problems... Orb is awesome... just wish i had more hotspots to utilize it in

jcsickz
04-07-2005, 11:58 AM
verizon's xv6600 pocket pc phone has ev-do which cruises at a solid 300-500kbps. I stream video everywhere, including in my car while driving

hp2200
04-14-2005, 05:51 AM
yes but is it really worth it if u dont have an integrated modem? like, i use a wireless activesync to my pc to get internet access, does it matter?