View Full Version : What are your ppc horror stories

discordian
03-28-2005, 04:05 PM
hardware, software, whatever...

here's mine:

I switched from palm OS to ppc when I was offered an iPaq at work.
I fell in love with the ppc and thought it was the cat's nuts.

Then the IT guys thought it would be a good idea to get everyone PPC based cellphones. So they made a deal with Sprint and got a couple dozen Hitachi G1000's.

Oh my god, what a piece of crap.

Seriously low memory for its purpose. Every day I had to do at least three resets because it locked up. It was huge, too big to even carry in a pocket. And the battery life was nothing to brag about. Plus mine fit poorly into its cradle.

after a couple of months and virtually everyone complaining, IT replaced them with Treo 600's and everyone was happy. I was the lone exception - I optioned for a regular cell phone and took back my iPaq.

Ripper014
03-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I totally agree... which is why I say that those that push intergration do not truly understand the normal PPC user...

Don't Panic!
03-28-2005, 11:02 PM
I sent my Jornada 545 back to HP because of the Class Action Lawsuit and I never saw any money or recieved any acknowledgement. They still have my device but I don't think I can prove it. It's been years.

Jon Westfall
03-29-2005, 04:14 AM
I guess mine is pretty tame:

After paying a huge some of money in November 2003 for an I-Mate Pocket PC (Remember, they were released in Dubai on 10/7/3, so getting on into the US less than a month later was quite a feat, but of course nothing is impossible. The impossible just costs more). Anyway, I had my device for about a month when I dropped it and a tiny piece of black plastic came off just above the power button (This is something many other I-Mate users have experienced). I was devestated! My brand new $$$ machine was flawed, with no hope for reasonably fast warrenty service or exchange. I'm the kind of person that this sort of thing really annoys, so if you're like me, you understand.

Other than that, I've had a few of the usual close calls (i.e. device takes a bit too long to wake up, the occassionally unexpected hard reset), but those can't top my sadness over my blemished I-Mate!

socrates63
03-30-2005, 12:10 AM
My horror story is only a few weeks old. One morning, I turned on my 2215 and found the SD card inexplicably erased. All my data had been stored on the SD card... including a collection of best practices for work that I wrote for myself during the past year.

With no moving parts, I thought flash cards were one of the most safest and reliable storage media available. My faith has been shaken.

Naturally, I had no backup of most of the data files. :oops: