View Full Version : Building a Hardware / Software application

pilgrim
03-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Help! :lol:

It has been a long time since I've posted or been on this forum, having given away my 3870 some time ago. Haven't found a compelling need for another unit until now...Having been out of the Pocket PC loop for quite a while, I am uncertain what is now available.

Would appreciate your assistance here. At least pointing me in the right direction. Am going to be reviewing the past topics as well, but decided to write this post first.

My question is in two parts, software and hardware. First the software portion....

For my work, I am developing a database application, probably Access or something similiar. I will be using it 1/2 time in the office, and data collection outside the office the other half. Also in the field I may need to reference existing data already collected. The report generation and analysis work will take place in the office. When completed, would be used by a rather large technical group.

Software Requirements:
1. Easy to program and reconfigure.

2. Database size should be limited to a few Gigs when populated. That seems to limit me to a real database program, as opposed to Excel.

3. Graphics would be necessary, but they would be a static jpeg image as opposed to a GIS display.

4. Would prefer easily customizable screens, so I could add additional fields as necessary.

5. The report generation of Access is adequate, but would be open to other displays.

6. What software is out there that is strong enough and perhaps compatible with an Access database model? I would asume that I would still be using Access in the office. I desire multiple user access while in the office.

7. Not being a database programmer, I am concerned about multiple units out there collecting data, and then uploading all the updates, with possible data conflicts between different field collectors.

For hardware, I was thinking of something more portable than a laptop, which leads me to either a Pocket PC or to a tablet. Ideally, I would prefer a 1/2 size tablet (5x8"), which puts me into no-mans land...the older I get, the more I need reading glasses for the smaller screens.

Well, another reason I am thinking "tablet" is to minimize the programming required to configure for a desktop screen, and a field unit. However, if the software is easy to configure, I would consider any unit. Just attended a GITA conference, and saw some new gear, but oriented toward the GIS crowd.

1. I am not needing a wireless connection (methinks).

2. Since my work will be purchasing the unit, I am willing to invest in a good unit. I do want it to be field proof, as opposed to an office only PDA. Screen size and clarity pushes me to a VGA option, and possibly to a tablet.

3. However, a GPS would be a nice thing to incorporate a coordinate within the database. Was thinking of the new Trimble Bluetooth gear that permits a remote coordinate collection.

4. A camera, with the jpeg eventually attached to the file.

5. Truck / car mounting may be necessary to secure it while in the vehicle. However, it must be portable to be carried extended distances as well.

Now that I write this out, it seems a little more involved than I was first thinking. 8O I am pretty open to the final solution, so your thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thx,

jedaharris
03-27-2005, 08:28 PM
From as much data as it sounds like you'll be inputing and using, I suspect I would try to find a workable tablet. But if you decide to use a Pocket PC, I might consider the HP 4705. I have 2.5 G of data on mine (a 2G CF and a 1G SD cards). I use it all day, every day. The touch screen typewriter is fine for me (I'm nearsighted and can type very fast on it). I'm in medicine and I look up more than I input. I have the double size battery and never come close to needing to switch batteries. It is made of Magnesium alloy and seems like a reliable, heavy duty tool rather than a toy. But I'm always using it inside an air conditioned building so I don't know about all of the dust, heat, and vibration you will be encountering. The screen is stunning and I think would do the job just fine.

I just can't see entering a ton of data onto a Pocket PC unless you hook it up to one of the Bluetooth or IR QWERTY keyboards.

As for the software, I have no experience with the type you need.

Good luck!

Glohamar
03-28-2005, 12:52 AM
For my work, I am developing a database application, probably Access or something similiar. I will be using it 1/2 time in the office, and data collection outside the office the other half. Also in the field I may need to reference existing data already collected.

2. Database size should be limited to a few Gigs when populated. That seems to limit me to a real database program, as opposed to Excel.

3. Graphics would be necessary, but they would be a static jpeg image as opposed to a GIS display.

4. Would prefer easily customizable screens, so I could add additional fields as necessary.

5. The report generation of Access is adequate, but would be open to other displays.

6. What software is out there that is strong enough and perhaps compatible with an Access database model? I would asume that I would still be using Access in the office. I desire multiple user access while in the office.

The most popular database programs for the pocket pc are SprintDB Pro, HanDBase, and Visual CE. I just don't know if they can handel a few gigs of data. I know that SprintDB Pro and HanDBase will convert to the Access DB format when you sync, not sure about Visual CE.

My thoughts, you need to have a wireless connection to a server that holds the data, like a SQL Server and/or website, that way everyone is accessing the same data all the time. Microsoft Access can access the data from the SQL Server for your reports and stuff. I know that SQL Server is not for the beginner, but feel that it makes the most sense for several gigs of data and multiple users.

Wheather or not you use a Pocket PC or a Tablet PC is going to be up to you and the users, wheather or not you want to carry several pounds or several ounces and size of screen.

Just my 2 cents.

pilgrim
03-28-2005, 06:21 AM
I highly appreciate your replies. It has been awhile since I have thought of programming again, and am looking for something that is stable under a large database, and also simple to use.

This will be a non-IT built application, but it really approaches the boundary there.

The ideal device for this application is something like a 5" x 8" tablet, sort of between a Pocket PC and a tablet. I thought I saw something on that recently, but can't find it again. Will keep looking.

SQL server.....I may need to get some IT help on that portion, if I go that way!

Thanks again!