View Full Version : Duplicate Folders on SD Card

eddiemoo
03-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I've somehow ended up with two "ebooks" folders on the SD card of my iPAQ h4150. I had this problem before and unwittingly deleted one to find half the contents of the other went missing, so I'm not doing the same again. (Maybe it's a FAT corruption problem?)

If anyone knows the best way to fix this then I'd be very grateful. I can restore from backup if necessary but would prefer an alternative fix. I'm guessing the problem was caused by unconnecting the iPAQ when MobiPocket was syncing.

Many thanks
Edd

Menneisyys
03-27-2005, 09:55 PM
I've somehow ended up with two "ebooks" folders on the SD card of my iPAQ h4150. I had this problem before and unwittingly deleted one to find half the contents of the other went missing, so I'm not doing the same again. (Maybe it's a FAT corruption problem?)

If anyone knows the best way to fix this then I'd be very grateful. I can restore from backup if necessary but would prefer an alternative fix. I'm guessing the problem was caused by unconnecting the iPAQ when MobiPocket was syncing.

Many thanks
Edd

This sometimes happens to FAT-based file systems. I too had the same problem once.

The solution is simply inserting the card in a desktop card reader and issuing the

chkdsk drivename: /f

command. It'll fix the problem, by just adding a postfix to one of the directory names so that they will be distinguishable.

Two things to note:

1, you may want to backup the contents of your SD card before this. Chkdsk very rarely messes up card, but it's still better to be on the safe side.

2, do NOT use PPC-based tools (Pocket Mechanic and Storage Tools) for this; they are VERY unreliable and, generally, make problems even worse. ONLY use the desktop chkdsk!