View Full Version : WEBCAMERA ON A PPC...

wirelesscop
03-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Does anyone know if it's at all possible to hook up and use a web camera on a Pocket PC?

I wanted to hook up a web camera to my Verizon Wireless XV6600 and use the wireless internet to broadcast.

Any chance this is possible?

Thanks!

wirelesscop
03-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Actually I guess I was also wondering if the built-in camera on the Pocket PC can be used to broadcast live camera feed? I guess that would be a little easier then hooking up a camera.

Thanks!

surur
03-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I suggest you pop over to xda-developers.org . If anyone has hacked this up, they would have.

Surur

Menneisyys
03-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know if it's at all possible to hook up and use a web camera on a Pocket PC?

I wanted to hook up a web camera to my Verizon Wireless XV6600 and use the wireless internet to broadcast.

Any chance this is possible?

Thanks!

It won't work with USB webcameras. Even if you have USB hosting in your PDA (built-in or with a Ratoc CF USB host card), there're no USB webcamera drivers.

The only way to 'broadcast' your stuff is using a CF/SD camera (they are all of pretty bad quality, I should warn) and Microsoft Portrait. That's only a p2p app though - it has no real 'webcamera' capabilities.

Also see http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14596&whichpage=2 on a similar subject.

encece
03-30-2005, 02:11 AM
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=793DACBFB49414F2XX1B3D2X54X96F91&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=157581&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=webcam&pc=list%5B1%5D_title

There is this app.

Menneisyys
03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
There is this app.

It's just the usual 'make the built-in camera software do a screenshot and store in the file system, and then, upload the file to a Web server' stuff. It doesn't support USB (!!!) werbcameras either (only built-in and SD/CF cameras). And, of course, it doesn't support video either.

EDIT: edited out the long URL

encece
03-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Then here is a related question for you.
To get streaming video webcams on a PC, do you need to run software from a server or can it be done from a regular PC?

Menneisyys
03-30-2005, 11:04 AM
To get streaming video webcams on a PC, do you need to run software from a server or can it be done from a regular PC?

It can be done on a regular PC (with the free WME) with a regular webcam. See for example http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14755 on this.

Sven Johannsen
03-30-2005, 04:14 PM

'Server' refers to software, not the hardware it runs on. There are server class machines with special design options, but you can run server software on about anything. There are all sorts of servers (software) too. Mail servers, ftp servers, media servers, etc. Yes, to stream media you will need media streaming server software, but as has been pointed out that is redily available. Many web cams even come with software that will let you view your camera's view from remote locations. That is by definition server software.

encece
03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Ooooooooh! Thanx! :D