View Full Version : no more expansion packs...what to do?

Midiot
03-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Hello everyone. I'm the new guy in this forum.

Anyway, I think I'm buying either a 4705 or a 2755.
I'm going to (mostly) use it for the PDAudio system, to record my music.

If you don't already know, it uses the CF slot to recieve the digital music signal. Which then leaves the SD slot for storage.

HP has done us the favour of not producing Expansion Packs for these newer models. (hmmph!)
What other alternatives do I have for streaming data to other storage devices? Not only am I a Midiot, I'm PDArrogant. :idontthinkso:

Since I'm just starting to fire up this system, I can keep y'all posted on my progress.

Thanks,
=M=

Menneisyys
03-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Hello everyone. I'm the new guy in this forum.

Anyway, I think I'm buying either a 4705 or a 2755.
I'm going to (mostly) use it for the PDAudio system, to record my music.

If you don't already know, it uses the CF slot to recieve the digital music signal. Which then leaves the SD slot for storage.

HP has done us the favour of not producing Expansion Packs for these newer models. (hmmph!)
What other alternatives do I have for streaming data to other storage devices? Not only am I a Midiot, I'm PDArrogant. :idontthinkso:

Since I'm just starting to fire up this system, I can keep y'all posted on my progress.

Thanks,
=M=

I don't think you'll have any probs with either of these models as they're both dual-slot; therefore, you can directly record to the SD card.

However, neither of them support USB hosting, which may be handy (recording straight to an external HDD) and technically also possible (for example, the Pocket Loox 720, which, unlike the two iPAQ's you mentioned, "only" has an 520 MHz CPU, can record to external HDD's at 400 kbytes/s).

Midiot
03-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Thx for the reply.

I guess my concern is the storage limit on the SD cards. Is there a way to use the SD slot to feed an external HDrive?

The USB hosting in the Loox looks (ha) nice, as long as the drive connected to it is able to enjoy full 2.0 USB without bottle-necking. I'm not that familiar with small portable drives' , and their functionality. The use of USB should also be confirmmed with PDAudio, and my choice of recording software. I have not researched that , yet.

I'm awaiting an email reply from PDAudio as well.

=M=

Midiot
03-26-2005, 09:01 AM
I believe the Loox does not use USB 2.0, but 1.x , but PDAudio said the Loox will work via USB, none-the-less.
They also told me if I use the Gidluck Mastering Live24/96 software, SD cards can be "dynamicaly changed"; the audio records to a different path durring card swap, resulting in a seamless , continuous .wav file,...... but with some pre setup and post recording configurations (I don't understand it yet, but it supposedly works).

Question: can a PDA have different "hardware profiles", as in Win XP?
PDAudio suggests configuring the PDA so many apps are turned off (bluetooth, etc) , presumably to save resources.
Is there an easy way to change a profile? In my case: one profile for recording audio, a second profile for general PDA use?

=M=

Menneisyys
03-26-2005, 01:45 PM
I guess my concern is the storage limit on the SD cards. Is there a way to use the SD slot to feed an external HDrive?

Unfortunately, no. If your PDA doesn't contain built-in USB host support, then, the only way to add it is through the CF interface. (There're USB host cards only as CF cards.) And, it's already occupied by the PDAudio card...

The USB hosting in the Loox looks (ha) nice, as long as the drive connected to it is able to enjoy full 2.0 USB without bottle-necking

It's USB 1.1 only, but 400 kbytes/s is pretty good, even for uncompressed raw audio recording.

Menneisyys
03-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Question: can a PDA have different "hardware profiles", as in Win XP?
PDAudio suggests configuring the PDA so many apps are turned off (bluetooth, etc) , presumably to save resources.
Is there an easy way to change a profile? In my case: one profile for recording audio, a second profile for general PDA use?

Unffortunately, no. You have to manually disable for example Today plug-ins (if they consume a lot of CPU cycles, even when they aren't visble; see for example http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36376 on this) and kill all additional stuff that would consume additional CPU cycles. Not the easiest to do, but

The good news is that, if you don't install resource-hog Today plug-ins on your PDA, but restrict yourself to, say, Spb GPRS Monitor and Spb Pocket Plus, you will barely need to disable them before recording, they consume so little CPU cycles (again, check out the above-linked becnhmarks page on additional info on this). Then, an additional Reset and Wi-Fi/BT disabling won't take much time before starting to record.