View Full Version : Where to dump my Digicam Pics...

Khufu1
03-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Here's my situation:
I am going to Europe and the UK for two weeks and I am using it as an excuse to update my gadget collection. I need somewhere to offload pictures from my Sony DSC-V1 without hauling my laptop over there. I have a iPaq 3970 but there isn't much I can do with it without a hard drive, so here are my thoughts.

IPod Photo: Use either the new camera adapter or that Belkin Deal with all the card reader slots. If you suggest this route, 30GB or 60GB? 60's nice to have but I hear it's a bit beefier (not good for a pocket) than the 30. My only hesitation here is I really really want an FM tuner which has yet to materialize for the IPod.

I-River Devices: They have the FM tuner, but I can't figure out how to get my pic's off my camera or memory stick on to these devices.

Personal Media Centers: I cannot see using it much for movies (my 3970, duh!) and I don't know of a way of getting the pic's on there without a PC.

Basically, which one of these do you folks like or is there another magic gadget I haven't thought of (I know about those dedicated boxes to dump pics on exclusively but I am trying to get a slick mp3 player out of this too) and if you recommend the IPod, which size of the photo? Keep in mind, I like to take a lot of pictures.

Thanks,
Khufu1

Pat Logsdon
03-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Personally, I'd go for the 60GB iPod Photo. I think the extra storage is worth the slightly larger physical dimensions.

At the moment, I'm using an Archos Gmini 220 for my Canon 10d. It's got a 20GB HDD, a Compact Flash slot, and it doubles as an MP3 player. The drawbacks to the Archos are:

a) the MP3 player is seriously suck-worthy
b) the battery life is not particularly wonderful
c) grayscale screen

Long story short, I'll be purchasing the 60GB iPod Photo and camera adapter as soon as I can afford it. :D

Don't Panic!
03-24-2005, 10:34 PM
a) the MP3 player is seriously suck-worthy
LOL, I'd like to use that phrase at some point.