View Full Version : Does cingular have an Unlimited wireless data plan?

Don't Panic!
03-22-2005, 04:12 PM
My question is does cingular have an unlimited wireless data plan yet? Something along the lines of t-mobile's 19.99 plan which includes the phne and another device like a Pocket PC or laptop.

What I've been hearing is that the cingular 199.99 plan is just for phone services. OF course the backdoor exploit to work with PPC's has been posted on but I"m looking for a plan where I don't have to worry about someone finally noticing the backdoor is open and shutting it in my face.

So what's the real deal on cingular unlimited wireless?

ADBrown
03-22-2005, 06:27 PM
If you mean the 19.99 Mediaworks plan, it's not just for phones, you can tether it to a PocketPC or laptop as well. And it's not a backdoor, Cingular is aware of it. The difference between it, their $50 a month plan for smartphones, and the $80 a month plan for aircards is that the $20 plan isn't supported for anything other than phones. It's the same service, and they'll tell you to go ahead and tether, but they won't help you to do it.

Don't Panic!
03-22-2005, 07:27 PM
I think some $19.99 mediaworks users are going to be surprised when thieir PPC service stops. I think I'll pass on $80 bucks a month for internet access. I really like what I'm hearing about the speed though. Maybe if I get a big raise at work or something. :robot:

Thanks for the explanation ADBrown. :)

ADBrown
03-23-2005, 09:57 AM
I think some $19.99 mediaworks users are going to be surprised when thieir PPC service stops.

(Shrug) Approved by Cingular customer service. This has been going on for some time--a couple years, I think--and there's no real way for Cingular to tell what data use is tethered, what's on a phone, even what's used on an aircard. It's all just data to them.

I think I'll pass on $80 bucks a month for internet access. I really like what I'm hearing about the speed though.

Most of Cingular's data coverage is the former ATTWS EDGE network, 2.5G. Maximum theoretical speed with an EDGE Class 10 device is 240 Kbits/second, though practical speeds are usually in the 120-200 range. depending on network conditions and hardware. For those that don't want to do the math, it's 15-25 KBytes per second. There are some areas, mostly roaming and rural, that don't have EDGE yet, so there you would drop back to 5 KByte/second GPRS.