View Full Version : need advanced subnet calculator, not vxutil

phritosan
03-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Im going through the Cisco classes in prep for the CCNA exams and need an advanced subnet calculator in my pocket. The simplistic one included in vxUtil is insufficient.

thanks

Jorgen
03-22-2005, 08:07 AM
More than this one? http://www2.wmin.ac.uk/dybdahlj/2softw.htm

If so, what would you want it to do?

I know that this is for MS-DOS so you can't have it in your pocket unless you have a hp-200lx or like But you can use it to check your answers..

Jorgen

phritosan
03-22-2005, 11:01 AM
i really would like to have something in my pocket. there are web based ones that i can find through google if im sitting at a computer.

thanks tho

Steven Cedrone
03-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Take a look at this:

http://www.conduits.com/products/apps/ip.asp

Steve

Ripper014
03-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Don't you think it would be better to just learn subnetting... afterall you can not take your calculator into the exam with you.

Jon Westfall
03-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Don't you think it would be better to just learn subnetting... afterall you can not take your calculator into the exam with you.

Exams don't come into this in my opinion. I learned a lot of material for my MCSE exams, however not all of it do I use daily. If you don't use it, you'll lose reaction time in accessing it. Therefore, if someone can give me a tool that can quickly recall the information and save my neurons a little work, I don't see a problem with it.

Besides, who here can really say they like calculating subnets - even those of us who are proficient at it probably would welcome something to save the brain power ;)

Ripper014
03-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Subnetting is really not that difficult to do even in your head when needed. But I agree if you do not use it on a regular basis... it will take you a few minutes to gather your thoughts. As far as for prepping for a CCNA exam... you better know it going into a test... and having a calculator do it for you will not help you in the exam.

After you are certified and are in the workforce I agree... if you want to use a subnet calculator... by all means... but for getting ready for the CCNA exam... it is not the best solution. Test questions include things like asking you to find a particular valid ip address given the subnetwork number and mask. Simply put just learn it...

phritosan
03-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Very good points. I am learning it.

And you're right, it would be better if I treated all the practice as practice and didn't just skip through it. But working it out on paper, then configuring the routers only to find that it doesn't work and I have no idea why is extremely frustrating.

I'm not interested in using it so much as a cheat or shortcut, but as a way to reinforce. I am taking these semesters as 8 week courses rather than 16 week ones, and as such, the time spent in class is all lecture. I don't have someone to hold my hand and walk me through it the first couple of times. Learning the concept in class is great, but you can't ride a bike by reading about it.

Ripper014
03-23-2005, 10:36 PM
You sound like me...

All my Cisco courses were 8 weeks or less... I am currently finishing up my BCAN...

But to be honest subnetting is really easy... if you have the CCNA books... check out the subnetting section... learn the MAGIC Number way of figuring it out. Once you learn it you can more or less do it in your head. With a little thought I can do most of my subnets... valid ip's and broadcast ip all in my head given an address and mask.

phritosan
03-24-2005, 12:57 AM
yeah, subnetting is fairly simple, but doing VLSM and CIDR, etc, is more challenging

Ripper014
03-25-2005, 01:04 AM
I am not sure what you mean regarding VLSM and CIDR... but I wish you luck on your certifications...