View Full Version : Pocket PC compatible e-mail browser with Netscape?

martino
03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
I do not use MS Outlook as my e-mail program, instead I use Netscape 7.2. I am planning to buy a Pocket PC and I was wondering if there is a program for the pocket pc which could access through my existing wlan my local folders to read my email stored on the pc, or i would need to revert to Ms Outlook?

Menneisyys
03-21-2005, 11:00 PM
First, welcome to the board :)

There're no Netscape-compliant ActiveSync e-mail synchronizer apps as yet - neither mNotes nor IntelliSync are capable of doing this. They are able to synchronize the mails of a lot of other desktop-based non-Outlook mailer apps - Lotus Notes, Outlook Express and the like.

There, however, MAY be some desktop-based tools that are able to synchronize your local Netscape mail repository with any of the above-mentioned programs. Through a double synchronization like this, you could be able to synchronize your mail with your PDA.

Another possibility is leaving your mail on the POP3 server by instructing the Netscape mailer client not to wipe them off after downloading them (or, only after a few days) because Pocket Inbox only displays these mail if they're really online. Then, you could add a POP3 account right into your PDA Pocket Inbox/Messaging, which would automatically download your mail via the Internet pass-through into the local PDA when the PDA is cradled. Then, effectively, you could have all the mail present on your POP3 account on your PDA too, without having to be online when reading them / explicitly downloading them.

Additionally, if you aren't afraid of a bit of programming/aren't afraid of reverse-engineering the Netscape mailbox file format, I've discovered quite a lot about how Windows Mobile stores the mail internally. By using the info I've described here and on other PPC sites in some threads, you could write your own (even bare-bone) Netscape mail synchronizer app. It's not very complicated - the Pocket Inbox architecture is pretty open and any third-party app can load new mail into it/fetch outgoing mail from it to send.

Feel free to ask us further questions.

SteveHoward999
03-22-2005, 05:20 AM
The built-in email program does POP3 perfectly well without going through Outlook. I even use it to check gMail.

... and you don't have to suffer all that HTML stuff :-)

martino
03-22-2005, 07:16 PM
i just dont like wasting my pop3 mailbox with all the crap i have, so i like to have it on my pc