View Full Version : How to goto command prompt?

scoobie
03-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Hello,

Can someone advice how I could access the command / dos prompt for HP iPaq 4700?

I have connected via WiFi to ADSL but could not communicate between my laptop and iPaq by WiFi. I need to access command prompt to ping and see my IP. I have set the WiFi adapter to use user-specified IP and same network settings as Laptop but still could not communicate between machines wirelessly. Any alternative way to check the ip setting? I need to transfer files between laptop and iPaq by WiFi. I have not setup the ActiveSync.

Btw, any recommended PDF viewer that can zoom granularly & freeware?

regards,
Scoobie

surur
03-19-2005, 05:15 PM
No need to be so 1980's. Check out this freeware.

vxUtil (Personal) is a suite of network/internet utilities

Utilities include:

DNS Audit
DNS Lookup
Finger
Get HTML
Info
IP Subnet Calculator
Password Generator
Ping
Ping Sweep
Port Scanner
Time Service
Trace Route
Wake On LAN
Whois
vxUtil (Personal) operates on all Windows CE-based Handheld, Handheld Pro, Palm-size and Pocket PCs and requires Windows CE 2.0 (or later).

http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html

Surur

TopDog
03-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I have a commandline tool here somewhere, but I can't find it right now... anyway, for Ping, I use Pocket Ping, you can find it here:
http://www.freewareppc.com/communication/pocketping_by_philipp.shtml

Jason Dunn
03-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Btw, any recommended PDF viewer that can zoom granularly & freeware?

There's only one freeware PDF viewer on the market, and that's from www.adobe.com...there's a PDF viewer from ClearVue, but it's not freeware.

Menneisyys
03-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Hello,
Can someone advice how I could access the command / dos prompt for HP iPaq 4700?

A rudimentary command line runner can be accessed the following way: tap-and-hold the Action button and tap the clock in the upper-right corner. When the usual circle is shown, release everything and choose Run from the menu. It's very rudimentary (there is not even a directory screen), but in cases when for example the entire contents of \Windows\Start Menu is wiped up, can be VERY handy to start File Explorer.

Jason Dunn
03-21-2005, 04:13 PM
A rudimentary command line runner can be accessed the following way: tap-and-hold the Action button and tap the clock in the upper-right corner.

I don't have a Pocket PC in front of me - I didn't think this still worked...interesting. :-)

Menneisyys
03-21-2005, 04:31 PM
A rudimentary command line runner can be accessed the following way: tap-and-hold the Action button and tap the clock in the upper-right corner.

I don't have a Pocket PC in front of me - I didn't think this still worked...interesting. :-)

Yeah, works on all WM2003+ devices - just checked on my PL720 and iPAQ2210.

Sven Johannsen
03-21-2005, 05:31 PM

Yeah, works on all WM2003+ devices - just checked on my PL720 and iPAQ2210.

That's not exactly a command line. It's just the ability to 'run' any exacutable that is already on the device. Not like a PC where you can 'run > command' and get a window in which you can launch things like ping or dir. There are DOS window emulators with suites of DOS-like commands out there, but these are programs running on the OS, not exposing capabilities in the OS.

As was posted earlier, vxUtil, is one of the best utilities for doing basic network troubleshooting, at any price, and it's free.

Menneisyys
04-23-2005, 08:21 PM
I've just run into PocketCMD, an open-source, free prompt app for the PPC, based on the ReactOS command line interpreter. See http://www.symbolictools.de/public/pocketconsole/applications/PocketCMD/ for more info.

Menneisyys
05-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Also, the thread at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=343097 is worth reading on the subject.