View Full Version : My first week with Toshiba E830

SteveHoward999
03-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Since we cannot officially get this machine in my mother coutry or here in America, I thought it might be useful for some to read my impressions of this machine after a full week of use. So here's some thoughts, randomly dropped in as bullet points. I am happy to discuss things in more detail or do tests if asked ...

The screen is wonderful!
MS Reader works fine in VGA mode (SE_VGA) and the amazingly tiny text is clear as could be, easy to read. I am nearly 40 and don't need reading glasses ...
Some dialoges don't like VGA
When I first tried to use Transcriber in VGA (first I tried to use it at all in fact) it wanted to get me to read some help. It came up on a huge dialogue that I could not move to find the text. I used Wisebar Advanced to kill the process.
Transcriber ROCKS in VGA mode. Suddenly it can read my spidery writing :-)
Seem to get lots of "MS Reader can no longer find this file" errors. Not sure if this means my SD card is dodgy, or if there is something inherent with this machine. Need to try a different card to store my books on.
Virtual Pool Mobile does not support VGA :-(
I was able to install (virtually) ALL of the software I had on my old E755 simply by hooking up the 830 and going to Add/Remove Programs in ActiveSync. This is a great 'feature' of AS ... not sure if it is meant to do this or not, but I love it.
Pocket Artist is way better in VGA mode.
The various Outlook programs do not like VGA ... the dialoges don't scale.
Did I mention how great the sceen is?
Screen is bright even at lowest setting. I'd love to be able to set it dimmer for reading in bed. Suggestions anyone?
I was even able to install ArcSoft Photobase that came on my E755 support disc.
Graphic performance seems poor compared to E755 - probably coz I am running in VGA mode?
Flash files play great using the Macromedia Standalone Player, but if set to run full screen, what they do is play full screen, with a 240x360 movie in the middle of the screen. Right-click and select "Show All" then it fills the screen nicely. Performace slower than E755 when played as "Show All" but the same if left at default 100%.
Advanced Explorer takes its time to catalogue each folder - a lot slower than E755 - VGA setting makes this a much more usable program though.
Pocket Streets seems to support VGA!! :-)
Wi-Fi works flawlessly and connects in about half the time E755 did.
Web browsing is SOOOO much better, but default QVGA settig has HUGE scroll bars, even though the browser window seems to run VGA. SE_VGA fixes this.
I seem to get more crashes in Internet Explorer than ever ... machine? SE_VGA? Dodgy OS?
Built-in IPphone software (Gphone) is great for peer-to-peer as a local walkie-talkie. Wife and I can communicate in house and garden.
Have tried to register with Gphone but their registration page is goosed - the buttons you have to press to register are disabled!!!
Battery life not too good - could be bright screen + SE_VGA setting ...
I want a Mugen extended battery.
Wisebar Advanced works really well! But I still have not found a decent VGA theme.
Ulti-Planner seems to work really well in VGA - especially the calendar view.
What's with the teeny 2002 keyboard that pops up in VGA mode. Can that be fixed?
The speaker is a lot louder than E755 - not that that would be hard!!!
The Toshiba voice recorder software looks cool. Not tried it yet.
Windows Media Player is disappointing in VGA, the old tiny video problem Need to try Beta Player.
RealPlayer dialogues don't support VGA but movies seem to fill screen as expected.
Calculator looks funny in VGA (it stretches to fit, without scaling buttons) but seems to work.
My favourite card game suite Pocket Solitaire works fine - just rescales to fill screen - unlike Microsoft's version ... which seems to have some nice new card decks.

OK that's it for now.

tcassidy
03-19-2005, 09:53 AM
In 2003SE, MS Reader is not happy when ebooks are not in main memory. Place the book you wish to read in main memory and all your problems should disappear.
Terry

SteveHoward999
03-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow - that sucks. Well it's not as if I am short of space, but I'd prefer not to put books in the device RAM to read them ...

Thanks!

shawnc
03-19-2005, 06:59 PM
In 2003SE, MS Reader is not happy when ebooks are not in main memory. Place the book you wish to read in main memory and all your problems should disappear.
Terry

If this is true then it only serves to fan the anti-MS flames. Why do they continue to release OS's that simply don't work. And not in some complex, highly technical form, but in the most basic of functions (i.e. non-functioning alarms on a ORGANIZER). This is not unlike saying that WMP 10 will only play files that are stored in main memory. Who in the heck want's to use vital memory by storing an extensive ebook collection in it. That is the essence of what memory cards are for.

Geez MS, how fricken long does it take for you to get this right :evil: ?

surur
03-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Regarding the tiny keyboard in VGA.

I use Goamo VGA Keyboard (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=X2A7DX1658C38135E1D7D8AFCC53X161&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=145229&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=vga+keyboard&pc=list%5B1%5D_title)which works OK.

ZeChangeableKbd by ZePocketForge (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&pc=list%5B4%5D_title&jid=X2A7DX1658C38135E1D7D8AFCC53X161&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=34073)appears interesting, and the developer was on this board recently. It supports VGA.

Surur

Ripper014
03-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Just to follow-up... (I thought someone would have replied by now), but Resco Keyboard will also display in full-size... and they have a number of different skins that you can choose from as well.

SteveHoward999
03-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the info about keyboards.

I just installed Calligrapher 7.4 and it's keyboard is also very small ... althought the whole point of using Calligrapher is to get away from a keyboard, right?

Anyway, I like Calligrapher so far. I was already finding that Transcriber likes my handwriting better in VGA mode - presumably because it gets more reference points to compare against its database. I love the little PenCommander commands ... the example described in the helps (select All, Copy, Paste) is neat - except I cannot get it to work in a web page. I presume I need to fiddle more.

SteveHoward999
03-21-2005, 12:05 AM
I wanted to post a follow-up on video playback too.

All the comments about Beta Player being so wonderful have so far proven to be correct. I have a ton of video, from home movies to tv programs that I can now convert to watch on the PDA at a very nice resolution.

Nice player, very powerful, lots of configuration options!

... now if I could just locate my 2.2Gb microdrive I could test out the performance of that with video ...